Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did it again... again Exotic Expo
Wink 
I honestly couldn't pass up the opportunity.  We were looking for new cages for the snakes but they didn't have the kind we were looking for but I did find some online from Animal Plastics prior to going to the expo.  Turns out it was better because even with shipping they are cheaper from them plus they are having a sale on the size we need.  We realized we weren't going to be getting cages so we looked around and found this little girl.

We couldn't say no.  She's a 1 yr. old Rainbow Boa 100% het. leucistic.  I honestly can't remember if she's a Columbian or Brazilian.  I'm pretty sure she's Columbian tho.  I'll have to call the breeder.  We were so focused on the leusistic part we didn't pay attention.  Her dad is a visual leucistic and her mom is 100% het. leucistic like our little girl.  Had she not been 100% het. leucistic we wouldn't have gotten her.  For anyone who doesn't know leucistic means it's an all white snake.  If we are able to find a male 100% leucistic we could breed them and produce all white snakes.  It will be a while and we are going to wait until next years babies start coming in before we look into getting a male but I do have a contact into getting one.

We're trying to think of names right now for her.  There are a lot of Harry Potter suggestions.  We are staying with the theme of characters from fantasy and sifi movies and TV.
Did some research. She's a Columbian Rainbow Boa based on her color.
You are right, she is a Colombian Rainbow Boa. She is a very nice looking one too. Her markings are really good. The reptile centre has a litter of babies and an adult. He is such a sweet snake. Colombians are really nice snakes. And Het Leucy too! If you can find a Leucistic male or even another Het you could have some pretty little white babies. They even have blue eyes. How amazing is that.

So congratulations are in order. It may be years, but you are going to breed Colombian Rainbow Boas.

It is exciting because they are live bearers. I have had live bearing lizards and seeing a baby reptile born is amazing.
I think they can have good sized litters too. How old is she now?

Naming is tricky. Do you want to go with the same theme or do you want a different theme for your Colombians?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(10-23-2017, 02:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: You are right, she is a Colombian Rainbow Boa. She is a very nice looking one too. Her markings are really good. The reptile centre has a litter of babies and an adult. He is such a sweet snake. Colombians are really nice snakes. And Het Leucy too! If you can find a Leucistic male or even another Het you could have some pretty little white babies. They even have blue eyes. How amazing is that.

So congratulations are in order. It may be years, but you are going to breed Colombian Rainbow Boas.

It is exciting because they are live bearers. I have had live bearing lizards and seeing a baby reptile born is amazing.
I think they can have good sized litters too. How old is she now?

Naming is tricky. Do you want to go with the same theme or do you want a different theme for your Colombians?

She's a year old.  We are going to wait until she's over 3 at least so we've got 2 years to get her up to a good size.
We're wanting to stay with the theme of sifi/fantasy. I've been leaning towards Brienne today.  Fun fact my husband pointed out when I told him I was leaning towards Brienne.  Brienne of Tarth in "Game of Thrones" was in Renly Baratheon's Kings Guard.  I mention this because his guard is referred to as the Rainbow Guard.
Which I don't know about you but it sounds like the perfect name for our little  Colombian Rainbow Boa.  Rainbow Guard=Rainbow Boa  Smiley32

I'm looking up breeding research.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snakes/B...nbow-Boas/
I think you have your name. Brienne is an interesting choice and the connection to the rainbow guard is too good to pass up.

You have lots of time to get ready for breeding. We reptile people have to be very patient. We wait years for a new snake to reach breeding age. You will probably find the right male while you are waiting for her to mature.

Reptiles Magazine is very good. Their articles are helpful and accurate.
They would have a number of articles about breeding with good general information. Have fun reading.
Catherine

(10-24-2017, 03:39 PM)Catherine Wrote: I think you have your name. Brienne is an interesting choice and the connection to the rainbow guard is too good to pass up.

You have lots of time to get ready for breeding. We reptile people have to be very patient. We wait years for a new snake to reach breeding age. You will probably find the right male while you are waiting for her to mature.

Reptiles Magazine is very good. Their articles are helpful and accurate.
They would have a number of articles about breeding with good general information. Have fun reading.

Once Kasey reminded me about the rainbow guard it was over.  We had our name at that point.  I found a male already but unfortunately we are going to have to wait.  I bought the cages using PayPal credit but I have to wait until we have that paid down some. I didn't want to throw all that money all at once.  So we have 6 months to pay it off without interest which we will have it paid off by December so with any luck our boy will still be there.
I knew you would find a male. You could contact the breeder and explain things. We all understand about juggling finances.
I put in a volunteer hours at the reptile centre to partly cover the cost of reptile food.  A breeder might just hold the male for you if you are sure you want him.

You are going to need another name. A white rainbow? He would have the rainbow iridescence on a white snake wouldn't he? 
What a beautiful thought.
Catherine

Sorry it's been a busy season between work and Christmas. But I need to gush about one of my presents I'm getting. I just have to wait to get it because of the weather and it's being shipped. I have found a male 100% het Leucistic Columbian rainbow boa! Already paid for and I've talked to the breeder. He's coming from Michigan and it's currently -2 so they are thankfully waiting until it's warmer before overnighting him. I'm so excited!
WOW!!
He is going to be a beauty. I can't wait to see his picture. 
The Columbian Rainbows are really beautiful.
Now that is a Christmas present that will last many years and it can hug you back.
I am curious about what you will call him.

It is best to wait on the shipping. It is dangerously cold. If there was even a small problem in the shipping he could get exposed to the cold and die. Is it my imagination or is this proving to be a nasty winter so far. I hope you don't have to wait too long. I really mean that, I am tired of this cold.
Catherine

They are over nighting him to me Tuesday so I'll have him Wednesday morning. it was still too cold to send him this week. The high in TN where I live was 27 degrees this week. It never stays this cold for this long. I'm a summer person so I'm hating this cold.

As far as name I think we are going to keep with the Game of Thrones theme. Brienne was named because she was in Renly's rainbow guard so I think with this boy we are going to name him Renly. It's not 100% but we had already talked about naming Brienne's mate, Renly, when we got her.