Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
K 9 Care A Van
K 9 Care A Van is an idea being developed to help the homeless with their pets. It would be a van with kennels to house a pet for a short time. This would allow the homeless person to go to a doctors appointment or visit a food bank. The person could access various services that do not allow dogs. Right now homeless people will go without if it means having to leave their pet vulnerable. The vans are warm and safe and food and water and general care are would be provided.
It is a brilliant idea.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/v...59fee.html

I like the fact that dogs could spend the night if the person needs to spend the night in a shelter. On really cold nights the dog and person would both be safe from the elements.
This could be part of helping a homeless person get off the streets and have a more secure life. Having a pet is part of their motivation to do better. Helping a homeless person care for their pet might be the one thing that gets things going in a better direction.
It is also a recognition that we need our pets. Homeless people have so little they need them even more. A pet is the most important thing happening in their lives. They have the love and devotion of a pet. After that anything is possible.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A wonderful initiative, which will benefit both homeless people and their pets. Good find, Catherine!

The words K9 made me think of two other wonderful organisations in the UK with a similar name:

http://www.k9-rescue.org.uk
and
http://www.k9focus.co.uk

(Sorry for the diversion from your original post above, Catherine)
What a fantastic idea! The homeless are very vulnerable, usually have tons of problems of one kind or another, and yes, dogs are often not allowed in buildings where these people need to go, including many night shelters.
Knowing your dog is just outside, being cared for, must be a great relief for those people.
The homeless feel forgotten and sidelined. There is prejudice against them. Sometimes it is because they have drug addiction problems but even if it is, a little care and kindness towards their companions goes a long way to restoring their hope.
It would be nice if such a good idea was adopted in the UK too!
LPC, I think of your links as building on what I posted. Clearly there are a number of rescues and shelters that use K 9 in the name. Where does the name k 9 come from?

The K 9 Care A Van idea  is quite good. It is a creative way to help the homeless. It may be the first such service for the homeless, but if it works the idea will spread. Homeless people can't relax and enjoy a meal or a sort rest if they are worried about their pets. Knowing their dog is warm and safe and getting fed would let a homeless person just relax and look after themselves for a short while. I am sure the dogs won't mind a chance to eat and sleep in comfort. Once they have done it a few times they will know that it is temporary and it will be a rest for them too.

I do hope the idea catches on elsewhere. There are plenty of homeless elsewhere.
Catherine

(10-24-2017, 03:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: LPC, I think of your links as building on what I posted. Clearly there are a number of rescues and shelters that use K 9 in the name. Where does the name k 9 come from?

At a basic level, K9 is a short form for the word "canine". But the real history is actually specific to the UK. There is a very long-running science fiction series - it started in 1963! - called "Dr. Who" and he had a robotic dog called K9:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9_(Doctor_Who)

The K9 expression has entered common English speech (mostly UK) and now sometimes refers to a police dog or to almost anything to do with dogs - e.g. dog refuges....back to your original topic, LOL!
Ha! I remember "K9" the robot dog in Doctor Who! It used to make my brother and I laugh whenever it appeared Smiley4
Of course, Dr. Who, I should have thought of that. I also didn't notice that K 9 is a play on the work canine. Maybe I don't use the word canine very much.  I have heard of it more with police dogs. Mostly I hear the word dog used.

The K 9 Care A Van also plays on the word caravan. It is a good tittle. With any luck it will catch people's attention. It certainly has the potential to transform lives by providing help where it is really needed.
Catherine