Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetarianism
Garlic has not been proven to be effective to lower cholesterol. I take a statin and the way I take it it won't give me any pain. I only take it every other day.
Quote:Garlic has not been proven to be effective to lower cholesterol. I take a statin and the way I take it it won't give me any pain. I only take it every other day.

I am glad the statin works for you. It sound like you are on a lower dosage so you should avoid side effects.

A lot of people swear by garlic. I don't know that it has ever been proven to lower cholesterol, but it does give some help. It may be too subtle to show on lab tests.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(10-14-2015, 03:13 PM)Ruth Wrote: Garlic has not been proven to be effective to lower cholesterol. I take a statin and the way I take it it won't give me any pain. I only take it every other day.

I will definitely bear that in mind, Ruth! There is really no way of knowing what my own cholesterol is without getting it tested, so I don't want to rely on something which may not work! (Getting me to the doctor's is a hard task! LOL!)

In all my knowledge of herbal medicine since the 1980s Garlic has been recommended for lowering cholesterol, so I have been relying on it to a great extent. There are other herbs which are supposed to be effective as well.

But I think the best thing is to go with what you trust if you know it will help you.
(10-14-2015, 08:10 PM)platy Wrote: [quote='Catherine' pid='9949' dateline='1444628626']

Have also started making "cheesecakes" using cashews instead of cream cheese and sugar and making ice cream aka nicecream from frozen bananas, it's delightful!

I love that recipe for caramelised Macadamias. I like Macadamias....but I would LOVE your recipe for cashew nut cheesecake! Plus "Nice Cream"....if ever you have the time to post them!

I like Cashew nuts very much. And if a cheesecake can be made of them -well -wow!
(10-15-2015, 04:10 AM)Tobi Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 08:10 PM)platy Wrote: Have also started making "cheesecakes" using cashews instead of cream cheese and sugar and making ice cream aka nicecream from frozen bananas, it's delightful!

I love that recipe for caramelised Macadamias. I like Macadamias....but I would LOVE your recipe for cashew nut cheesecake! Plus "Nice Cream"....if ever you have the time to post them!

I like Cashew nuts very much. And if a cheesecake can be made of them -well -wow!

There are so many! Just like making a normal cheesecake you can choose any flavour combination you like. The filling generally consists of soaked cashews that are then processed so they're smooth and creamy, coconut oil, coconut nectar and whatever flavour you want eg cacao, berry, mint etc etc. A couple that I like;

http://myeclectickitchen.com/2013/05/nut...heesecake/
Because who doesn't like chocolate

http://myeclectickitchen.com/?s=dreamy+c...mit=Search
Also made this one. For the base I used pecans I believe along with the dates and I think it was just too sweet, so perhaps almonds would work better or maybe a little more salt to try and balance it out.
I also used frozen berries at the time, never again. Fresh is the way to go because they won't all be so horribly tart. And unless you really like sour lemon, I'd probably just use one, two was too much.

http://foodblogveda.weebly.com/blog/cate...heesecakes
More here.

For nicecream it is generally 4 frozen bananas, 3 or 4 medjool dates and some milk (dairy or non dairy) or coconut cream and again whatever flavouring you like.
I used almost 3 bananas and it made quite a bit of icecream so just play around with it. Some recipes;

http://www.naturallymeghan.com/2014/07/s...m-raw.html

http://nadialim.com/recipe/vanilla-ice-c...el-sundae/

http://sheloveseating.com/2015/05/24/car...i-yoghurt/

And I really liked this one for a different take on strawberry jam
http://sheloveseating.com/2014/06/11/hea...berry-jam/
Those are amazing recipes. The cheese cake from nuts sounds like a dream desert. I love cashews just raw and plain. Turned into a cake with flavours and texture of cheese cake, they would be amazing.

I am guessing that flavours and toppings can be adjusted according to taste and availability of fresh fruit.

We don't have to give up enjoying food, but we can make sure that what we eat is good for us.

Instead of snacking on potato chips, I get dried seaweed. It has a bit of salt and it crunches like chips. It is low in fat and high in Vit C. I have the fun of snacking on something crunchy and salty, but none of the consequences.

It is more than not eating meat(or animal products if you are vegan). It is a whole attitude change about food. Last winter things got so busy that I ended up eating junk food way too often. This year I am stocking my freezer with real food so that I always have healthy choices available. As the weather cools I am doing cooking sessions and freezing the results. If I make it then I know what is in it and I know if it is healthy. I have mostly cut out meat and I have mostly cut out junk. I feel healthier and I am sure that it is better for me.

I can't wait to try the cashew cheese cake.
Catherine

I am guessing that flavours and toppings can be adjusted according to taste and availability of fresh fruit.
- Definitely. You can make anything. Just google and there is a whole world out there of recipes concocted by some very talented women.

I used to make a lot of cakes that used so much chocolate and sugar and butter. They definitely tasted amazing but they weren't doing me any good. My brother in law is also a type 1 diabetic so I now try to make desserts that he can have as well without putting his glucose level through the roof.
He's also a chef and he makes the best soup. Over winter he'd make up a huge pot of pumpkin or vegetable soup (his pumpkin is the best) and store it in containers in the freezer. Reheat on the stove top for like 10-15 minutes and there you go, quick and easy dinner.
I love when a chef makes me dinner and I don't have to pay for it hahahaha

Downside of summer, it is so hot I never feel like cooking. Needless to say I end up having a lot of ice cream dinners lol
I love pumpkin soup. Just thinking about your brother in law's soup makes me feel warm inside.

I think a lot of us need to learn to eat less sugar. Type 2 Diabetes is on the rise and less sugar is the only way to stop it. Picture this, a cashew cheesecake with pumpkin in it. Add the usual pumpkin spices and it would be an amazing dessert.

If you are going to eat ice-cream you could make the banana ice cream. It has natural sugar so it would be better than the regular ice cream. If your summer turns out to be really hot you will need some way to cool down.

I am going to need to do some recipe searching. If I want to eat differently then I need ideas about what to eat and how to prepare it.
If I want to remove meat from my diet then I need to have foods that I enjoy that fill that spot.
Catherine

I like pumpkin soup very much! And I don't think there's a vegetable soup invented which I don't like. But my favourites are lentil, butternut squash and carrot, and leek and potato. But my 'soups' are more like stews as I don't liquidise everything.

I made a very nice blackberry sorbet once. But it was hard work to do, as the blackberries had to be partially cooked and strained through a sieve. It was a treat for my mother. It did have sugar in it though, and some lemon juice. But it was nice.
Have you ever made sweet potato soup. It is very good. I was thinking of getting sweet potatoes, more squash and carrots and making a soup of the three of them. I add potatoes too because it makes the soup smoother. I like to puree it. I like smooth soup. I like chunky too. I like soup in any form.

If I got a mix of hard veggies I could roast them in veggie broth. It would be tasty.

The sorbet sounds good. I haven't tried too much like that. I do make scones and biscuits with different kinds of flour. A biscuit with lentil and wheat flour in it would be a balanced protein wouldn't it? I wonder if there are nut flours. I have a basic recipe that allows for a lot of variation. I can use I cup wheat flour with one cup of corn or oat flour and get good results. I feel like experimenting again.

I do need to make a trip to the local bulk food stores if I want nuts and flours. The health food stores carry them as well, but they are much more expensive. Cooking has gotten interesting again.
Catherine