Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetarianism
Sweet potatoe soup sounds really good. I have some lentils and split peas. I should make some soup out of one of them. I like to use lots of root veggies in that. It's a very nutritious soup.
Catherine....yes there ARE nut flours. They are made from the 'cake' left behind after oils have been pressed from the nuts. There's something about it here:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Nutmeals.html

I have heard that there is too much phytic acid(? I hope I have that right?) in Almond flours and that they are best limited. But I haven't had time to research that yet.

Yes also you are right. A biscuit made from lentil and wheat flour would be a balanced protein (as far as I know, but if anyone knows different info. please correct me.)

Lentils and split peas make great soups Ruth! They have good protein too.
Nut Flours! I am glad to learn that they do exist. I could make them if I can't buy them or at least I could make the nut meal. I have a big processor and two hand blenders. Any of the nut flours would add to my muffin recipes as long as I don't add too much. The biscuits would be trickier. I substitute half the wheat flour with corn flower. I would only be able to use 1/4 nut flour.

Lentil flour would be a total experiment. I could start with 1/4 and then see if 1/2 would work. I might need more Baking Powder if the flour is heavier.

Almonds in any form are very expensive so it would be hard to overdose. Who could afford to do that.Smiley4

Sweet potato soup is so good. It could be done as a chunky soup or a puree.
Lentils and root veggies would be a tasty soup. We are on a real soup adventure here.
I just bought a whole pumpkin for 87 cents! I plan to make soup and freeze some. If I get back to the store I can get some more. Pumpkins are on sale everywhere and it is good to take advantage of the harvest.
I also have two kinds of squash so I will need to do some peeling and cooking and freezing.

If I make a white bean(navy bean) soup and add rice, that is a complete protein isn't it?

I love having the home made soups and then serving them with the home made biscuits. They are tasty and healthy.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There is coconut flour also. Coconut is so versatile.
Coconut is also very healthy, the oil is good as a prevention for memory loss.
It also contains caprylic acid, which combats candida albicans (which Tamara and I have both had). We buy organic dried coconut, grind it finer and put a little on top of our breakfast (or desserts).
Quote:There is coconut flour also. Coconut is so versatile.
Quote:Coconut is also very healthy, the oil is good as a prevention for memory loss.
Quote:It also contains caprylic acid, which combats candida albicans (which Tamara and I have both had). We buy organic dried coconut, grind it finer and put a little on top of our breakfast (or desserts).

With the week I have had, I could use any help at all.Smiley4
I have forgotten a lot of little things like locking my door and remembering to get up for work. Usually I am more careful than that.

I have never seen coconut flour, but I bet I know where I can get some. I like the taste of coconut and have eaten it as is when you break the nut open. I never really thought about cooking with it although I have eaten coconut rice dishes. I can see possibilities for the dried coconut. It would add to many types of cooking.

How does the flour compare to wheat flour. I am guessing that it doesn't contain gluten. In muffins it would be fine. The more delicate things like biscuits might need careful experimentation. I am fine with wheat flour, but I know combining foods give a much better nutritional balance.

I am going to check the Indian Grocery store near the reptile centre. He usually has different things. I bought a big bag of ground ginger from him. He might have lentil flour as well. I like to support small local businesses and I want to try different food sources. Everybody wins.

As a kid we bought whole coconuts and I would eat tons of it. Why don't I do that now?
Catherine

Huh, I have never heard of coconut flour either?
We do use coconut oil for everything, including a mouthwash.
I would like to find some organic coconut that doesn't have the additives. Still searching though.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I can get whole coconuts from the store any time. I think they are usually pretty cheap. I could buy coconut like that and process it. The baking coconut is very sweet and I don't want that if I am doing a recipe.
I could mix coconut with my yogurt and get a nice dessert. I buy the plain yogurt and flavour it myself, sweet for dessert and savoury for dips.

I have used coconut oil on my hair. It washes out and leaves it soft and healthy. I never thought of cooking with it. I still like my good prairie canola oil. I might look at coconut oil. It would be good in certain recipes.

I need a shopping day where I check out some alternative stores for different products.
Catherine

I don't see what not eating animals will do for the meat industry. They will still kill animals for food until it is against the law. I sign legislation to try and make it against the law to kill them.