Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keystone pipeline spill...795,000 liters of oil
This is a massive oil spill and it was predictable.
It is too early to know how much damage was done and how the environment will be effected. 
I heard on the news that after the spill there was no loss....of value in the stock.

They miss the obvious. Thousands of liters  of toxic oil are now part of the ecosystem.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...k1PrHtEvnc

Eventually the rain will wash the oil into the ground water. Animals that encounter the oil will be damaged and even killed.
This spill will not be without consequences for the environment.  Yet another patch of land has become too toxic to sustain life.

I bet the company responsible will do nothing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have been hearing about that oil spill today. Yes it's a major ecological tragedy. I can't begin to imagine what can be done to counter that level of pollution and damage....
It is quite upsetting.
Most of what they do to clean up is just on the surface. It doesn't get at the oil that has soaked into the ground. Oil soaked animals will be cleaned up, but what about the soil itself. Life comes from the soil. All the little insects and mites and microbes will be damaged and killed. The type of cleanup they do is like putting fresh paint on rotting wood. It can look nice, but it is still a mess.

They consider the area remote so they won't feel the need to clean up too much. By their reasoning, no one important lives there.
Catherine

The spill is worse than they originally thought. Are we surprized that it is worse. I am not even surprized that it is leaking.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...VlBqmn06Kw

We will never know how much damage the spill has caused. Many creatures will die because of this. The water could be contaminated for years. The soil is unfit to grow anything in the immediate area of the spill, but it is also contaminated in the area around it.
This is an ecological disaster that is still forming.
Catherine