Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City pound removes its gas chamber
This is worth making note of. The Cameron Animal Shelter finally removed its gas chamber. For years they killed animals in this inhumane way. They finally have admitted that it is outdated and inhumane.
Now we need them to take the next step and become a no kill shelter.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_n...863b1.html

There is another shelter in the area that is no kill that is trying to work with the city to move things in the right direction. They are going to be setting up a bigger shelter. They are working at solving the stray cat problem by spaying and neutering.

Things are changing. There are still "shelters" out there with outdated inhumane methods, but they are being influenced by animal lovers who push for improvements. Some day no city run shelter anywhere will kill hundreds of animals with gas chambers and other cruel methods. Some day all shelters will be no kill.

If the spay and neuter programs are continued and spread to all cities with stray cat problems some day there will not be a stray cat problem. It will take time, but it will happen. It does help if we keep supporting and pushing for the spay neuter programs.
Cities will back programs like this if they think the voters want them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I can't even imagine the suffering that euthanisation by gas chamber causes. It was hard to even see the picture of that steel box cut in half.
How any "shelter" could condone the use of such a method is beyond me!! In fact it makes me angry.

Thank goodness it has been removed, in that "shelter" anyway. So now they kill them by lethal injection.

So terrible and so sad.

It's true that there will be fewer strays if the spay/neuter continues. But that will not stop heartless people dumping their animals for this or that so-called reason.

You are right Catherine, that if that is what the voters call for, it will happen. So we all need to speak up. In any area.
I have seen videos of the gas chambers at work. That was years ago and it is everything you imagined only worse. I can't imagine who created this method. I think they used to drown them in some places so perhaps this seemed modern and progressive. 
They didn't use a humane gas. They often used car exhaust.

There will always need to be shelters. Some people will be irresponsible and abandon their pets.
What can change is the way shelters are run. Many shelters are no kill and they way they treat the animals is beautiful. This is especially true of private shelters and Humane Society/SPCA shelters.
We have to push and make our voices heard so that city run shelters become as humane as privately run shelters.

Cutting up the gas chamber is a real public statement. It sends a message to other shelters that they should do the same thing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine