Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fairytale version of farming...it is time to let it go
I came across this very good article while I was looking for something else.  It is well written and it makes a good case that we have a fairytale version of farming in our minds. Even when we see proof otherwise we still want to see farms as happy places where animals are treated well.
The reality is far different. Many of us know that , but children are still being taught the fairytale version and it is had to shake what we learn at an early age. The article is a good read.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...lBmYHHXmKF

I know the article references the farming industry in one small part of the world, but we know it is a global truth. Farming is no longer an idealistic  and gentle way of life. In various places and in different ways farming has become an industry and mass industries exist to produce and make money. The welfare of people, animals and the environment are not on the agenda.

So is it time to teach children the truth about farming right from the beginning.

When I think back to my childhood, to the local chicken farm with its long sheds that I never saw the inside of, were there happy chickens living peaceful lives in there or were there vast numbers of hens in battery cages living miserable lives.
We know the answer don't we. After all I was never shown the inside of the sheds. I wish I had known the truth then. 
I think children deserve the truth.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine