Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caring for senior animals at the zoo
Cincinnati Zoo has a number of animals that are now seniors. As such they require specialized care just like we do as seniors.
The zoo wants them to live out their lives in good health and they want them to have good long lives.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/spe...5e64bf9249

It is amazing the amount of special care the animals receive. Their every need is being thought of. They get the right food and proper medical care. I am sure the job of caring for these zoo seniors is teaching us a lot about what each species needs. We are also learning about the process of aging. Many of the medications used in animals are the same ones used for humans. I am sure many of the same things work for us and them. 
I think it is sweet to think that an aging grandmother gorilla gets the same respect and love as a human grandmother.
The  only difference is that grandma gorilla will likely eat and flowers given to her.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's really good to hear that Cincinnati zoo is caring so carefully for its senior animals. Back in the old days those things wouldn't have happened in zoos, and most likely aging animals would be euthanised because they might be considered less interesting for visitors, or even because there was no interest in senior care.
It is a very compassionate thing. Hearing news like this shows me a little about how we have changed for the better in many ways in the last 50 years.
The big zoos are all working hard at caring for their senior animals. It is noticeable that the animals are living longer too. I love the fact that they renovated exhibits to help the old animals manage. It is like renovating the grandparents home  so they can still live comfortably in it.

There is a lot of understanding about good nutrition and vitamins and healthy aging. These animals are getting state of the art geriatric care.

The other thing they are doing is engaging the public. They tell people about the old animals and gain their sympathy for them.
When the old lion sleeps all day and moves very slowly we all know he is old and we wish him well and hope he is with us many more years.

In some cases where animals are very old they are no longer put on display. The zoos all have enclosures and spaces that are not public where older animals can live in peace. We feel we owe these animals a happy retirement and peaceful final years. 
It is a change in thinking that respects the animals in stead of exploiting them. Many things are better now.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine