Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop the mass killing of Romanian Stray Dogs
"On the 25th September 2013, the Constitutional Court authorized the mass killing of Romania's stray dogs.

Under this new law, dogs will be kept in detention for 14 days in overcrowded dog shelters, and then killed if they are not claimed or adopted. This means that tens of thousands of dogs will be killed in the coming weeks.

History shows us that mass killing is not the solution. Stray and roaming dog populations can be managed in ways that are both effective and humane.

Help us stop the senseless killing of healthy dogs today. Urge the Romanian Prime Minister to suspend this cruel law immediately."

(Quoted from the Care2 Petition Site)

More signatures needed.
I have only just received this, so hope many dogs can still be saved.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeactio...05838#sign
This is so important. I hope that our signatures help influence the government. I know they need to do something about stray dogs, but the mass killing is not the solution.
I am sure many of the dogs could be airlifted to places that have room and could find them homes.Undecided
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A very worthy cause. I just signed. I seem to remember discussing this issue a few months ago on the old site, perhaps in connection with some other petition site but the same issue.

The reaction of the Romanian government is very much a knee jerk one. Killing lots of dogs won't make the problem of strays on the streets go away. Those the authorities don't catch and kill will multiply again. The stray dogs should be neutered, not killed. That is the only solution, and the one that is favoured by the Romanian animal charities.

Also, as Catherine correctly says, homes could probably be found for many of those strays currently on the streets. The animal charities in Romania are ready to help, but the authorities seem set on a "killing is the only solution" policy. I am also greatly concerned that if this "cull" is done on a very large scale, the sheer size of the killings required could result in euthanasia being done with little care and possible pain in the process.
You are right. Once they start a mass killing all reason is lost and many animals will be killed cruelly. I don't think it is good for a society to be involved in a mass killing. It can only have a negative effect on people. You can't do that kind of thing and not be affected.

Mass killings don't solve the stray problem anyhow and many of these dogs are adoptable. If they would put their energies into a mass sterilization and rescue everyone would benefit.

I hope public response around the world through petitions will make them rethink their decision. Even if they don't care sometimes countries do not want to be publicly singled out in this way. Public opinion is a powerful force for change.
Catherine

ugh it hurts my heart.
I know. It is one of the sad things that is happening in the world. I hope it is also one of the things we can change.
Catherine