Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit Bull Ban Survey
Hi everyone! I am a student in college and I am doing a paper on the pit bull ban in Denver Colorado. I have to have a primary source in my paper and I chose to do a survey. If anyone and everyone can take this survey to express their opinion about the ban and what other alternatives can we take besides the ban. Your input will be anonymous!  

This is much appreciated.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q72OdvcIV_z3nvB6fCKuFn8mOjJLCEPu9MQ44pdImdQ/edit
The survey is a good idea, Amelia.
In my country (UK) Pit Bulls are a banned breed. I have never seen one or personally met one. All I know about that breed is based on hearsay, from quite a number of Pit Bull people in the US. I feel it would be unfair for me to  complete the survey form as I have no hands-on knowledge of the breed, and my opinions would be based on what I'd heard from other people. I also feel that answering "I don't know" to questions might unfairly bias the survey and give the impression I am undecided (that is I may harbour some negative views.)
Welcome to the forum. I live in Ontario, Canada where a pit bull ban was instituted in August 2005. 
There had been some dog attacks so the ban was in response to this. It was a reaction to something so it was not well thought out.  It hasn't  worked.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...VlnneRX8ml

There is some hope that the ban will be lifted in the future. It is a sad thought that a thousand dogs died for nothing.

I filled out your survey and I hope it helps.

Do keep us posted.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is very sad that innocent dogs have ever had to be euthanised owing to breed prejudice.

Yes it's true that ANY breed of dog can bite or cause injury. Whatever the breed, it is often the case of either: bad human understanding of how to raise and handle dogs, or careless breeding, or an unfortunate combination of both (whatever the breed of dog.)

People always think the big strong muscular dogs, or certain breeds like Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, etc are more likely to be aggressive, and that idea is far from the truth. Of course a big dog can cause more damage, but even a tiny dog can cause serious injury.

Our dog was killed by an English Bull Terrier when I was a teenager. That dog was not brought up or treated right. It was constantly chained during the day, and no one in that family had real time for it. They were too busy and too ignorant of a dog's needs.
That made me very wary of "Bully Breeds" for a long time. But time passes and we live and learn. Here in England those dogs are legal, and so are Staffordshire Bull Terriers. In all my life (since that horrible incident when I was young) I have never again met a dog of either breed who was aggressive or dangerous! And I have met many dogs.
Any aggressive dogs I have met are the result of bad training. The people have no idea how to control the dog. In some cases dogs are made aggressive by mistreatment. This can happen to any breed. As you say, a bigger breed can do more damage, but I don't see them as more inclined to do damage. Certainly the dog bite stats for Ontario clearly show that the breed ban has not worked. There are more dog bites than ever before. Pit bulls died for nothing.

That is sad that your dog was killed by another dog. I guess we should feel for the other dog that he was so frustrated with life that he became aggressive. I think any dog could become aggressive if it is treated like that dog.
I am glad England doesn't have breed specific bans. You at least give dogs a chance. It all still comes back to the owners and how they raise their dog. Maybe we need to ban some owners.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine