Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Global Warming
I love how Hank likes to rant-explain things. So wanted to share this on the behalf of the polar bears.

He is right that Global warming is a very bad name choice. A scientist understands how bad a small amount of temperature increase would be for the planet. The average person does not see the consequences so the name does not give them cause for alarm.
That is why we should not let scientists name really important stuff.

It is really would be better to call it Catastrophic Climate Change. Doesn't that sound more serious? It is not just climate change and weather cycles. It is rather, increasingly extreme weather. So it will be colder/hotter and dryer/wetter. Any of those four can make it hard to produce food. We should worry. Our human population increased at a time when the weather was good and food was plentiful. How will we feed everybody if the weather globally is more extreme and crop failures become the norm. It bears thinking about.Huh
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree. 'Global warming' sounds much too benign for the devastation caused by climate change.
We are already noticing it here. Torrential rain comes down for weeks at a time, flooding the low-lying fields, and even species of wildlife who normally adapt to wet conditions are struggling to survive.
We have had a bout of rain now which has lasted about 8 weeks, some of it incredibly torrential. Last year wasn't too bad, but 2012, 2011, and I think 2010, it rained for two or three months at a time, in the summer, flooding everything.
Yeah I think we've had some of the same crazy weather. It being Tennessee the weather is always up and down and all over the place. The best saying I've heard is Tennessee weather is Menopausal. Heavy coat one day and the next you can go without. But it has hit more extreme ups and downs lately. 100s this past summer to 7 last week.
We are having a second round of Polar Vortex so we are getting extreme cold like we never have in this area. It will effect the plants. There will be winter kill for sure. Animals are having a bad time. Look at the bat situation. They have had to rescue more bats. I wonder how many little creatures in their dens will just die of the cold and we will never know.

Apparently Shakespeare was wrong when he said:What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

In the case of Global Warming the name matters. We feel good about it getting warmer. We just don't see the danger.
I think everywhere we are having weather issues. I hate to see the destruction that bad weather can bring. We have really messed things up this time.
Catherine

(01-22-2014, 03:34 PM)Catherine Wrote: Apparently Shakespeare was wrong when he said:What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

In the case of Global Warming the name matters. We feel good about it getting warmer. We just don't see the danger.
I think everywhere we are having weather issues. I hate to see the destruction that bad weather can bring. We have really messed things up this time.

Well Shakespeare was saying it doesn't mater what you call it, a rose will always be a rose. Like global warming will be still damage the earth no mater what you call it. The problem is in regulating what we can and forcing people to recognize that there is a problem, which a lot of people still don't recognize that it's a real issue, whether we call it global warming, climate change, or the end of the world 51 ... something drastic has to be done before we see and can make a difference. The problem is we've got so many people and politicians lobbying Smiley59 for different things. It's like everyone has a hold of a big blanket and they are all pulling it in different directions and no one is going anywhere. Eventually that imaginary blanket is going to rip apart and then what? Smiley7 72 Angry

It's a slow process to educated people and it unfortunately we're on borrowed time as it is.
I like to grab on to the good news that is out there. There are people working to fix things. We often do not hear about the good because there is not time to stop and talk about it. There are serious problems, but there are also people trying to work on solutions.

We need more education because one thing we do need is more people working on the solutions.
Three cheers for the climate heros and lets keep working on telling people there is a problem so that they can become part of the good team. There are already way too many people working on the wrong team.
Catherine

Agreed 100%. Several years ago I heard a favorite comedian of my on a late night talk show. He said what did he care if the temperature was a degree or two warmer for his granchildren. He liked warm weather.
I have never seen this guy in the same light since. I just think "poor ignorant fool", when I see him now.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Quote:Agreed 100%. Several years ago I heard a favorite comedian of my on a late night talk show. He said what did he care if the temperature was a degree or two warmer for his granchildren. He liked warm weather.
I have never seen this guy in the same light since. I just think "poor ignorant fool", when I see him now.

Sadly he probably did a lot of harm. Ignorance seems to multiply with little encouragement....kind of like the mildew on your shower curtain.

The really scary thing is the fact that the ocean is not just rising, it is getting warmer. That has a lot of potential consequences.Confused
Catherine