Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What else can go wrong?
It sounds like you are well prepared now just in case something were to happen. I can imagine it does feel very good to be warm again.

I have no central heating but am very glad to have the fireplace and the multi-fuel stove. There is always wood where I live. Yes it is hard work to get it, chop it, etc but it's become a way of life. For the stove, wood isn't the best solution in bitter cold weather, as it goes out overnight, and if that happens, the fridge-freezer in the kitchen/utility switches itself off if the room drops below freezing, and I lose all my frozen food! (I live and learn. That happened once. I had no idea a freezer would throw a hissy-fit if the room got cold!) I can stop pipes freezing by keeping the outside tap on a trickle of water. The birds are very grateful for that if everything is frozen out there too.

Once, when I had to go away for 2 weeks in freezing weather, I shut off the water and drained all the pipes and tanks out. It all made a heck of a din when I came home and turned it all back on again, but worked fine.

So I use stove "nuts" (oval shaped smokeless fuel) which works a treat to keep the stove in all night. So that also keeps the temperature up in the kitchen. But in a severe emergency there is firewood in my world. All I have to do is go out and hunt it down.

Messages In This Thread
What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-16-2017, 03:13 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by LPC - 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-18-2017, 02:52 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-18-2017, 02:24 PM