Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Cat's last Christmas
Some of you know I have being taking care of my neighbour's cat for years. Her kidneys were damaged and I have done the medical part of her care regularly for more years that I can remember. I guess we can be proud that she has lasted this long.

I do the cat sitting when they go away. They had to be gone for a month and we all knew the little cat was not doing well. She has been failing for some time. Still with lots of special treats and hand feeding I got her to rally a little. She was like her old self for a few days. I guess that was her gift to me. 

She is definitely failing now. I am doing what I can, but I think she is almost ready to let go. She has bravely stayed with us even though it meant a lot of injections and pills. She has had a happy life in spite of her health. I sense now she is almost ready to say goodbye. I had hoped she would still be there when her people come home, but I don't think she can go two more weeks. 
I am not counting on her making it to the New Year. One day at a time. I want us to have Christmas breakfast together.
She is a special little cat and I am happy to be with her for her last days. I am going to miss her when she goes.

I think the rainbow bridge is in sight and she is saving her energy for one last run across the bridge.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just checked on her and she is resting quietly. She just wants to let go and be free. I think it won't be long.
I think it has been close to ten years that she has been sick. She has been so good about the things we needed to do to keep her well. 
I will go back and sit with her again in a little while. There is nothing else I can do.
Catherine

Catherine, the poor cat could have no one better to be there with her than you.....quietly watching, thinking of her, wishing her well as she prepares to cross. What is her name? May she cross, when she is ready, without pain and quickly.
She is called Zooey Cat. I have spent a lot of time with her over the years, so we are close. I know her people hated to go and leave her. We also knew that she probably wouldn't last until their return.
Last week she ate for me and tried to act like her old self. It was sweet of her.
It was yesterday that she started to decline again. I just sense that she is tired and she is ready to let go. I hope I am actually with her. I left her resting on a comfortable bed. I needed to come home and feed my animals.
I will go back and check on her soon.
Catherine

Kindest thoughts to little Zooey. Bless her little Soul. Heart  She has you to help her and she will be grateful for your company.
Zooey is very weak. She can't walk, she can barely sit. I have had her on a soft pad with a blanket and plastic pad because she has lost all control. She is very quiet and doesn't seem uncomfortable. I thought about staying sitting on the floor with her. I brought her home instead. She is on my bed. I have her along the wall so when I go to bed she won't be able to fall because I will be there. I am a light sleeper. I will be aware of her all night, but I will be able to sleep. If she lasts another night I will still have enough strength to deal with her tomorrow. If she dies tonight she won't be alone.

She is quietly shutting down and I just hope the end is peaceful. She is such a gentle cat. We did make it to Christmas morning. It may be 1am, but it is Christmas. And she has a tree and decorations around her so it is a proper Christmas.
I wish she could still eat. All she takes is a few drops of water now and then. She has no need of food now.
Catherine

Catherine, you did a very kind and compassionate thing in bringing Zooey to stay with you. She will have company in her last hours and a soft bed. I send her my loving thoughts.
In the  wee small hours of Christmas morning Zooey cat left her poor failing body behind and ran free across the Rainbow Bridge. She passed so quietly I am not even sure when she left. She had me there holding her telling her it was it was time to go and we would miss her, but it was time. 

After ten years of struggling with kidney failure Zooey is free of pain and medication and can live the life she was meant to live.
She is like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. What she left behind is the empty shell. And now she can fly free.

https://youtu.be/Gt-5lS9hJFA
Catherine

(12-26-2017, 05:15 AM)Catherine Wrote: She is like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. What she left behind is the empty shell. And now she can fly free.
A nice comparison. Run free, dear Zooey!
I just sent you a message Catherine, but that was before I read this.
Be free now dear little Zooey, and may you find love and blessings in the world to which your Soul has flown. Heart

The video is just right.