Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog found frozen solid on porch of Ohio home
It is hard to believe that someone let this happen. With all the information about the dangers of cold weather no dog should have been outside. In this case there were two dogs living in an unheated house without food or water. It is unclear how the female got outside. However it happened, no one checked on her for days. She was found frozen solid. The male dog inside the house was cold and hungry.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/1...porch.html

I can understand that the owner of the dogs was having some rough times. That doesn't excuse him leaving the dogs unattended. I question whether it was okay to leave the dogs in an unheated house. Certainly if he planned to leave them in the house he should have checked on them daily if not more. Better, he should have stayed with them. If it was too cold for him then it was too cold for the dogs.
That dog trusted him to look after her. She curled up on the porch and waited for him. Now she is dead.

I certainly think charges are in order.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poor Nanas. What a sad thing to happen to her.

I do not feel Mr Vallejo is being totally honest. The male dog was found "undernourished and dehydrated" yet Vallejo says he had been going to the house and providing food and water....
That makes no sense to me.
I can understand the dogs' food and water bowls being empty if for instance he put food down say that morning, and it had all been eaten (& water drunk) But then the dog would not have been found undernourished and dehydrated enough to warrant medical attention...(apart from hypothermic.)

It is my guess he did not attend those dogs regularly. Too sorry for himself, and too preoccupied with himself and his problems probably!

He also says that he doesn't know how Nanas could have got out. Yet in October he was cited for her running loose, and didn't even turn up for the hearing! That means she probably did get out of the house sometimes.
Anyway his story doesn't add up, to me. I think neglect was happening.

And the sad thing is, Nanas probably did wait out on the porch, watching and hoping for him coming as she slowly froze to death.
Mr Vallejo did not deserve the loyalty of a dog like Nanas. She did wait on the porch. If she had run off she could have found a warmer place or barked at a heated house to be let in.

Mr. Vallejo admitted that he was not visiting the house every day. If he had left enough food for two dogs and one dog was outside, there should have been plenty of food for the one dog in the house. It is a clear case of neglect even without the dog freezing to death. Since Nanas was found wandering in October his excuse of hard times doesn't fit. It is just and excuse. There are homeless people who do not neglect their dogs. He should never have left his dogs alone. I am glad the male is getting the care he needs now, but that doesn't help Nanas. It is too late for her.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine