Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switzerland changes animal welfare laws for the better
Switzerland has acted to improve its animal welfare laws. In particular boiling live lobsters will not be permitted. Any mistreatment of crustaceans will not be permitted. There are other changes in the new laws, but this one will have impact.

http://www.dw.com/en/switzerland-bans-bo...a-42104175

Good for Switzerland. They are addressing an issue that should have been considered years ago. Right now crustaceans are held on ice and shipped on ice. This practice is very cruel.  After days of what amounts to torture, lobsters can look forward to a terrible death.  I am proud of Switzerland that they have taken a stand against lobster abuse. For too long lobsters were not considered to feel pain or have feelings. This new law is a recognition of our new understanding of the nature of lobsters.

To have even one country do this challenges all other countries to do as well.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am pleased to hear this. I hope other countries will follow Switzerland's example. ALL creatures are capable of feeling pain and suffering. We are only just opening our minds to learning about the abilities of other creatures and we have no right to abuse any living being anyway.
I think in future we are going to see changes in this area. The conventional wisdom that it is okay to boil lobsters alive is not holding up. Scientific studies show that crustaceans can feel pain. Clearly they feel pain when we kill them like that. Shipping them live on ice causes suffering.

I think people are going to have to make food choices in future. We are starting to know too much. We can no longer eat something like lobster or Foie Gras and not know that an animal suffered in the process.

Good for Switzerland for taking a strong stand for animal welfare. They are acknowledging in their laws that certain food practices are cruel. That is a public statement that other countries will have to consider. After all lobsters shipped to Switzerland pass through other counties. Those shipments must comply to Swiss laws. I wonder how that will work out.
Catherine

The debate still rages on. Of course some scientists do not think lobsters feel pain. In the past they didn't think babies felt pain. They routinely did circumcisions with no pain relief.  It is only now that we are showing respect for children and animals that we are considering that they might feel.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/...r-why.html

We are  going to need to keep fighting this battle for many years to come. We may never be able to prove that lobsters feel pain. It is not an easy thing to prove. I think even if we could prove it some people wouldn't care.
Even if it is just a small number of countries saying no to lobster cruelty it is still a victory.
Catherine