Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WW2 Army Dog awarded metal for bravery 75years later
Chips the German Shepherd was a war hero who saved lives.  He was recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart, but did not receive them because at the time animals were not given medals.  He went home to his family after the war and lived out his life. Still he deserved to be recognised and now 75 years later the son of his owner received the Dickin Medal on his behalf.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/...avery.html

Better late than never. Now Chips can be listed with the other animals who served bravely during the war. 
Even after all this time, it does matter. Chips did serve and that needs to be recognized. Animals have given a lot to us and that should never be overlooked. I am glad that someone decided that animals deserve medals for their acts of bravery.

It is good that the son was there to receive the medal. He would have known Chips and that would make it special.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's good to hear Chips has been fully honoured for his loyal service. They do so much and put their lives on the line. Kind thoughts to his Soul.
I am glad they are going back and looking up dogs that should have been honoured. It is definitely the right thing to do.
Catherine

I wonder what happened to "Colonel" (Da Garwal) We have not heard a thing. I secretly hope he passed over and went to be with his human; his handler, a Major called Mark I think. He apparently was killed in action just before Colonel was captured by the Taliban. Colonel reminded me a lot of Misty.
I was thinking about Colonel  while I was posting this thread. Some of us will never forget him. I agree that it would be best if he had passed and joined his handler. They belong together. It has been years so he would be an old dog anyhow, if he was still alive.
Catherine