Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog person vs. cat person
This is the subject of much discussion over the years. People want to know which pet you prefer. They think it means something about you as a person. I found an interesting article that quotes studies on the subject. Yes it has been studied. Yes they seem to think it means something. Just for the record I think I like my snakes best. Make of that what you will.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...vU2AkkxrUg

I don't know about accuracy of the studies and then I think about my cat and dog loving friends. In an odd way they do fit the profiles. Are we really drawn to the pets that match our own personalities? What does that say about people who reject pets altogether. 

I do like the term bi-petual. It gives us room for individuality. What about tri-petual? Or in my case Multi-petual. I have reptiles, birds and mammals. I have never had my own dog, but I have had cats. Who knows maybe I am a dog person and I don't know it. I have never had a horse either.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, it's hard to categorise people sometimes. Not always, as some are definite "horse people" etc.
I seem to instantly connect emotionally and mentally with dogs. I don't have to work at it. It's just "there". And dogs will see me from across the street and want to say hello.

Cats generally view me with some reservations. So I don't think I must be a "cat person". There are some who are mighty friendly, but mostly they view me from a distance.
But I have really loved any cats I had sharing my life, from as far back as I can remember. My childhood was shared with cats until we got a dog.

But I was rambling on about dogs from the moment I could first speak. My first dog was a stuffed toy variety, whom I used to trundle about on the end of a red lead. Sadly, he got dragged about quite a bit! lol
The second was an invisible dog who was notorious for stopping buses.....(there hangs a tail!)...and who was an on-going embarrassment to my family.
Next, we got a dog of the physical kind, who put the invisible one in the shade!

I have loved dogs especially, all my life -so have to say I'm a "dog person".
But I am fond of all creatures and make connections with them.
I grew up with a dog until I was 8 and we had cats after that. My first "pet" was a stuffed toy lion. I was three and in my mind he was a real lion. Leo was big and strong and went with me everywhere. I had two imaginary horses, palominos. I kept the horses secret, but the  lion was noticeable. 

You must explain how an imaginary dog stopped a bus. Even my lion couldn't do that.

I usually relate to cats and understand them. I also relate to dogs and they will go out of their way to meet me.
I don't think I fit the pattern of either cat person or dog person. I like to relate to any kind of animal. 
I have never had a dog because I can't fit one into my life. I have to stick with pets that can handle independence and being alone all day. A dog would be too lonely.  Maybe I should try dog sitting or dog walking for a friend first to see if I can manage a dog. Someday when I am not working I would like to have a dog. 

I also had a stuffed toy polar bear. He wasn't like my lion though. There was only one Leo.
Catherine

Wow, your Leo....
I was scared of Lions when I was a little kid. You would easily have beat me and my Bonzo (stuffed toy dog) by setting Leo on us....we would have hidden under the bed! Smiley4 

How the invisible dog stopped buses. Okay, you asked for it.
Invisible Dog went with me everywhere. I was approximately age 5 and 6.
I fed it (invisible food) and I gave him/her instructions. I held him/her on the end of an invisible pink lead. We travelled on a lot of buses, from here to there, mostly to relatives' houses. I am sure Invisible Dog had a name but I can't remember it. I also can't remember if he/she was male or female. But he/she was a medium sized dog with a proper shape for a dog and a long-ish nose. He/she had short hair, but I can't even remember what colour.

Many a time Invisible Dog would do unpredictable things....such as not following instructions correctly etc.  This was never a cause for annoyance, just a repeat of the instructions and kindly guidance.

Getting on buses was usually easy. Invisible Dog jumped on board happily. Getting off buses was not always straightforward. Sometimes Invisible Dog would choose that moment to do unpredictable things such as sniffing at something. Mama would get off the bus first, and I would follow, always holding the lead tightly and encouraging Invisible Dog to leap down on to the street.
On a few occasions after I had got off the bus, invisible Dog was stuck behind accidentally. The bus conductor had already rung the bell for the driver to take off. I would suddenly shout, "Stop the bus!"......
The conductor would ring the bell again, afraid he'd done something terrible. The bus would lurch and there was a squeal of brakes.
....."My dog hasn't got off yet!"

Mama would usually try to get me away as quickly as possible by grabbing my hand and telling me to march -now.

Unfortunately Invisible Dog did this more than once.
Leo was always very good to nice people so he would have treated you and Bonzo very well. He would have known you were scared of him and he would have calmed your fears. Leo was like that. Everyone else could only see a stuffed toy lion. I was able to see him as a real lion. I think you would have seen him too.

I was drinking milk when I got to the "stop the bus" part of the story. Remind me not to eat when I am reading stories.
I love it. He sounds like he was a very fine invisible dog. I would love to have seen the bus conductor's face when you told him your dog hadn't gotten off the bus yet. I bet he had to explain himself to the driver later. That must have been an interesting conversation.

Dog people or cat people, it doesn't matter, but we certainly are animal people.
Catherine