Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets can cause house fires
A video camera caught the image of a dog causing a house fire. He grabbed food off the stove and turned the burner on in  the process. Items left on the stove then caught fire.

http://wwlp.com/2018/01/31/southwick-fir...use-fires/

The safety of our pets is always an issue. So it would be good to think about our pets and fire safety. Certainly securing the stove so it can't be turned on is a good idea. 

However, two thoughts come to mind. Food was left on the stove for the dog to get at. There should be no food left out to tempt a dog. Also items on the stove caught fire. There should be no flammable items left on the stove. It is just too dangerous. The stove should also be kept clean of grease so even if it is turned on there is nothing to catch fire.

I certainly didn't know that pets caused so many fires. I think tomorrow I will take a few minutes to look around and make sure my home is pet/fire safe. Better safe than sorry.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well I'm kind of sorry to have to say this but that fire was not the dog's fault. It was the peoples' fault for leaving so many hazards! People are generally aware when they have "Counter Surfer" dogs, and ought not to leave food anywhere he could surf! What is left over food doing out on a stove top anyway? I wouldn't want to eat "cold" food which was stored like that.
But a good warning for all of us.
Cats too can be a nuisance always leaping up onto surfaces and things. They are usually lighter-footed but could still knock candles or night lights over, or scented oil burners/incense etc.
I agree, it was not the dog's fault. The kitchen was left in a way that was dangerous. The stove was cluttered with food and other stuff. I think most house fires could have been prevented. If the kitchen had been clean and uncluttered with nothing left out, the dog wouldn't have been able to do anything to cause a fire. Having the stove turned on by mistake is not a good thing, but it there was nothing to burn it would just have run up the gas bill and nothing else.

We are responsible for our pets in our homes. We should be making sure that nothing can go wrong.

I stopped using candles when I brought a bird into the house. It isn't just the bird itself, the feathers can float and catch fire.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine