Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching an old dog new tricks.
Dogs can decline mentally as they age just as much as humans do. One way to help keep an old dog sharp is to challenge its brain. There are probably many ways to do this, but a new idea is to use computer games played on a touch screen. It seems that dogs can learn to do this. Old dogs can learn to do this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...games.html

If the game is fun you could play it with your dog.

I have seen videos of lizards and frogs playing games on a touch screen. I don't know if it keeps them sharp, but they seem to like it. Who knows, this might be the way to keep a dog entertained while you are out. A game could be designed just for an older dog. It is an idea that could work.

I will pass on trying this with the guinea pigs. I don't want them getting ahold of my computer. They would probably find a way to order cases of vegetables.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

As someone who just lost a senior dog it is very hard to keep a senior dog trained and engaged. Buddy couldn't hear the last couple years of his life. Thankfully my mom and I are always very active with our hands when we talk. We had unintentionally taught him sign language all his life. So we could still communicate with him some. We used that as much as we could to still play and engage with him. We didn't have video games but we did what we could. The important thing to remember is to let them do as much as they. If you step in and help then they will learn to be helpless. Buddy kept going until his very last day. He stopped engaging as much though and was very senile his last few weeks. He couldn't remember that he had just gone outside or drank water. He lived a good long life considering we had him for 14 years not knowing where he came from and we just guessed he was a year old. He was a really good dog. He had a big loving personality that made everyone that met him love him.
Buddy was a special dog and you kept him engaged and as alert as possible. Dogs and other animals do get senile towards the end. I am glad Buddy was good until the end. He lived a good life.

Some animals do seem to lose their mental edge long before the end. It would be good if there was a way to keep them alert. 
Letting them make their own way makes sense. Even if a dog doesn't see well I am sure it will find its way if you give it time. I know hearing fades, but using some kind of signs works. Actual computer games though are a whole different level of training for the brain. It might take more study to know if it would work.

I think social interactions fight off senility more than anything. They keep the brain engaged. As we have aging pets we are going to need to find ways to help them age well. In the same way we are trying to learn how to help people age well.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine