Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotional support hamster flushed at airport.
I agree totally that it is time to clarify the rules for airlines regarding what support pets are or are not allowed (including sizes as well as animal types). Clarity abolishes confusion.

I am afraid to say that I am not impressed with the behaviour of this young lady. There are some questionable aspects to her side of the account, too. Why couldn't she go on the train, even if several changes were necessary? Why not put off her journey for a few days, in order to find someone who could look after the hamster? If this hamster was an emotional support animal, which the doctor certified, then if she depends so heavily on the animal to survive, why did she choose to end its life in such a cruel way? She cancelled her flight, so why didn't she then take the poor animal - which she clearly valued less than going to visit her parents - to an animal refuge? There are lots in Florida; she only had to ask around or look at Yellow Pages.

I also doubt her story about the airline telling her to flush the hamster down the toilet. That is too bizarre for a check-in clerk to say. But even if (extremely unlikely) that story is true, she didn't have to follow that suggestion. She says that she spent a long time crying in the toilet before carrying out the deed - so she knew that it was wrong. It would seem that she decided to put her desire to visit her parents quickly above any need to look after her so-called essential, emotional support animal. It just doesn't add up, IMHO.

A very sad story. I hope that this young lady does not get another pet soon, without fully realising that having one brings serious responsibilities. Taking legal action against the airline will not bring the poor hamster back. She would do better to search her own soul and spend time in humble regret for what she has done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Emotional support hamster flushed at airport. - by LPC - 02-09-2018, 08:12 PM