Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to protect your house from your pets
We love our pets, but they can be destructive. Cats scratch furniture and dogs scratch doors and chew things. Sometimes we don't know what to do. There are solutions.

Here are ten things you can do to protect your home from your pet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nomanazish/...your-home/

I think some of the ideas are great. Protecting the door with a smooth scratch proof sheet is good. Better might be to attach a cardboard scratching post to the door. Then the pet can scratch away and work the claws while the door stays safe. 

Using natural oils like lavender, eucalyptus and cedar to repel fleas is good. Rosemary works as well and it has a pleasant smell. You could even blend the oils and combine odor control with flea control. 

The double sticky tape might work to keep the cat off the counter. It might work to keep me off the counter as well. I am not sure how helpful this suggestion is.

At least we know there are solutions.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes there are some useful suggestions there. It is better to protect the furniture than to have a cat de-clawed!!

The sticky tape on the counter....sounds good in theory but like you say, it would keep ME off the counter too! And would be a darned nuisance within 5 minutes Smiley4 

There is one thing about cats which I find a bit difficult to get on with, and that's the fact that they are always jumping up on work surfaces and dish draining areas etc. And where food is prepared. (Ewwww, that cat may have been in the litter box or outside to do "business" just before doing that !)
Some cats you can train -for sure. And some refuse to speak English! There has to be a good invention waiting to happen out there to stop cats jumping on work surfaces, but which is not a nuisance for humans....
I will see what tickles my imagination Smiley16

Some dogs chew stuff because they are very young and need training. But some do it as re-directed anxiety and lack of stimulus. Dogs left alone all day while humans are out working are "climbing the walls" to find something to do! We forget that they have slept all night and wake up full of energy for the day. Then they get told to stay still on their beds for 8 hours until the human gets home. Most young healthy dogs can't manage that.
Some dog-destruction could be stopped only by getting in a pet-sitter or dog walker for two hours a day, or by getting up one hour early and going for a three mile run with them....and same after work. Yes, it's tough. That's the way it is with an energetic dog.
I agree, dogs are bored during the day. Having lots more toys would help. Getting up early would be good for the dog and the owner, but it would be hard to do. None of us get enough sleep as it is. What about finding an older neighbour to dog sit. The person might not be able to keep a dog any more and might enjoy a dog's company during the day.
There are dog walking companies that do a very good job.

The cat on the counter is an age old dilemma. The cat knows the rules. It just doesn't care. It doesn't mind getting dirty paw prints all over food handling surfaces. It will still eat the food. 
How we can stop cats from doing this, I have no idea. Has anyone ever gotten a cat to cooperate and do what we want, not what the cat wants.

The double sticky tape seems like a messy idea. I can picture the cat getting it stuck to its fur and dragging it around the house, picking up objects along the way. It could turn into a real mess. Cats prints on the counter would be small in comparison.
Catherine

My mind meandered into the cat-deterrent zone a little bit this evening. I suppose it would be possible to wire up a thin touch-pad which is connected to an audio-thingy-bob, which barks when the cat lands on it. The person preparing food can avoid it as much as possible....say a strip about 2" wide with the wiring underneath and insulated so damp can't get at it?
What do cats hate? That's what we have to think about Smiley4  This wouldn't work for cats who love dogs... But the sudden shock factor might be effective.
Cats hate doing anything we want them to do. So, the way to keep them off the counters is to keep putting them on the counters. Being typical cats they will tem refuse to go on the counters just to spite us. 

It could possibly work.

You could build counters that fold up when not in use. Or you could have a fake counter over your real counter that swings out of the way when you want to use the counter underneath. It wouldn't be convenient, but it might work.

How about having a trained dog to keep the cats off the counters. Dogs are talented and they could learn a simple thing like this. 
Of course the cat could fetch dog treats and bribe the dog. That would be a problem.
Catherine