Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog food recall--contamination with euthanasia drugs
(02-25-2018, 04:24 AM)Tobi Wrote: And farm animals never are.

Esteemed Tobi, I hope that you don't mind my correcting you on one very small point. Occasionally farm animals are euthanised (such as terminal cancer or other serious ailments which would make the animal unsuitable for consumption).

I know because our beloved Josette had to be euthanised. A vet came and administered a very high dose of painkiller, which he injected into a vein in her neck. She passed exceptionally quickly and we very relieved that it was so rapid. Bless her darling soul!

I then had to phone a special collection service, which collects the bodies of sheep and other farm animals which have passed over for whatever reason (disease, etc.). These bodies are then incinerated. At least, that is what happens in France, where the authorities are very strict about such matters.

Pets, however, are often euthanised by vets in their surgeries. Sometimes caretakers can't handle dealing with the dead body of their beloved pet, so the vet makes arrangements. Also, some pet shelters can and do euthanise unwanted/unadoptable pets on quite a large scale, and these bodies go somewhere. I assume that either or both of these routes is how euthanised pets get into the food chain.

Almost all of these cases have been in the USA, where perhaps legislation is more lax or perhaps the rules are broken more often. I'm not sure which.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog food recall--contamination with euthanasia drugs - by LPC - 02-25-2018, 07:16 AM