Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pig adopted from SPCA--killed and eaten!
(02-25-2018, 07:03 PM)LPC Wrote: The couple can't be charged under current Canadian law, but the SPCA already knew the laws about animals. They should have drawn up is a contract with a clause under civil (not criminal) law. I did that when I gave away some ewes a few years ago. I made it clear in the agreement that they were never to be killed for food and (to make sure the people kept their word) that if the undertaking were broken, they would have to pay me €500. Since a ewe only costs about €60, that made it financially unattractive to those seeking a cheap source of meat. Such a measure is more effective than mere vetting, as people can and do lie about their intentions, sadly. The SPCA could have done something similar.

That is an excellent idea LPC. It would work very well, I am sure.

If the adoption fee had been more than the price of a "livestock pig" that might also have deterred these people? But of course, doing that might also make adoption more difficult, except with really dedicated compassionate people.

But what a horrible thing to do. And when people take it upon themselves to "kill something" -how well do they do it? Slaughtehouses are bad enough. But some amateur killing a pig?

Poor thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pig adopted from SPCA--killed and eaten! - by Tobi - 02-26-2018, 04:15 AM