Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK farmers digging out after major storm
The hill farmers of north Wales are used to these conditions which regularly come in winter. And the same for the Scottish farmers. But for others, in areas where there usually isn't much more than a sprinkling of snow, it must have been harder. But I have not yet known a farmer who was out of touch with a long-range weather forecast.
Of course, sometimes those forecasts are wrong...

But still, I am surprised some farmers were taken unawares by a serious snowfall which was predicted days earlier...(?) If I knew on the Monday before it happened, and went out to get emergency supplies in, why didn't they know?

Lambs are fine in cold dry weather, even frosty conditions. But deep snow is a killer for them. So is heavy rain. And even mature ewes can't cope when it gets too bad.

I know a local farmer who always has his pregnant ewes out end of February -early March. But this year there is no sign of them. Those are the best kept ewes and lambs I have ever seen, and he is a decent man. I have helped him set wires. He has all his stock inside I am sure. And probably took them in in good time.
Most of the snow has melted now, but still the fields are unsuitable. The snow melt has waterlogged everything.

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK farmers digging out after major storm - by Tobi - 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM