Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK farmers digging out after major storm
Most fridge freezers are designed to sit in peoples' kitchens/utility rooms in a centrally heated environment. Who doesn't have central heating? Almost no-one. Those kinds are designed to operate between +10 and + 32 Celsius ambient temperature (that is room temperature.)

I had no idea it was so complicated!
Apparently those people living in the Tropics have a diferent kind of fridge freezer which is designed to operate to higher ambient temperatures. More "nordic" people have environments which almost never drop below +10. Because in the winter the ambient air is heated.

There are such things as "garage freezers" which are designed to operate at lower temperatures. But who told me that when I bought a fridge freezer in 2011? For quite a while I was sure warmth coming through from the stove in the next room would keep the ambient temperature up enough in the next room....but obviously not when the weather gets too far below freezing.  It cut out once before, I think in 2013 but hasn't done since.

The secret isn't buy a new fridge for £300, but get a little space heater (Amazon £22) in that room and use it when it gets very cold. Cheaper option! Which is what I have done now. A thermometer would be useful too, so as not to waste power when it's not needed.

Food never goes to waste in my house. There is always someone who will appreciate it! Who would imagine Crows love vegan sausages frozen peas and oven chips?

There's an article here, which tries to explain why thousands of Starfish were washed ashore on UK beaches in the freezing weather:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/thousands-st...east-east/

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK farmers digging out after major storm - by Tobi - 03-08-2018, 05:15 AM