Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slaughterhouse staff convicted of animal abuse
The workers at Bowood Yorkshire Lamb Slaughterhouse pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to animals. They have been sentenced. Sadly the sentences were short and they were suspended.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/slau...to-animals

It sends a mixed message. The courts care enough about the animals to find the men guilty and sentence them. However they clearly don't care that much. The men received such light sentences that they will not act as a deterrent to future cruelty.
The only thing that penalized them at all was paying the court costs. They will go back to their old ways and nothing will be changed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, there was one good outcome, according to the article you cited:

"The company went into administration - with all staff being made redundant - six months after Animal Aid released the footage."
That is a fair outcome, LPC.
Losing their jobs might hit home....
But maybe they will just be embittered, then find work elsewhere. Will that change their approach to how they treat those poor animals, who have to suffer enough being in the slaughterhouse, without added abuse.
It is quite heartbreaking.

I agree. The sentencing was not tough enough to be a real deterrent.

The deterrent should come from those peoples' hearts. But obviously it doesn't...yet... In the meantime all that justice on Earth can provide is punishment. And those people will not feel that sentence deeply enough to bring about any change.
I am not sorry that the staff lost their jobs. They were being abusive at the same time as they were killing in a cruel manor.
There is nothing justifies that kind of behavior.

I wonder if the workers could get jobs in other slaughter houses. I think companies have trouble getting staff, but would they want to risk hiring people who were convicted of abusing animals. It is not that I think the company would actually care, but they might not want to risk ending up like Bowood. 

So I wonder, are cruel people drawn to jobs at slaughter houses. They seem to  just "naturally" get into habits of abusing animals. Or does the work at the slaughter house turn people into animal abusers?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine