Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classroom pets
It is common enough for schools to allow classroom pets. I understand that this is not a new thing. 
What is new is looking at how the pets are actually doing in the classroom.

The BC SPCA is questioning how classroom pets are handled. They have come up with a list of requirements for care of a classroom pet. They are reasonable and responsible criteria.

[Image: bc-spca-classroom-pet-rules.jpg]

In response the Victoria School board is considering banning school pets. That makes me wonder just how pets in schools are being looked after.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-co...-1.4578013

The thing that I found alarming is the fact that there is no plan to evacuate the pet in an emergency. If there is a fire the pet will be left behind. 
I do think some pets are not suited to classrooms. Having so many people around would be very stressful to some animals. 
I never liked the idea that the pet was sent home with a different family each time. There is no standard of care or consistency. It would be confusing to many small animals. No guinea pig would be comfortable with a situation like that. They would be constantly stressed. I think it would be too much for a hamster or rabbit as well.

Surprisingly  some reptiles would do well in a classroom. A ball python would be fine as long as it had a comfortable set up, was fed regularly and wasn't handled too much. Of course it would still need adult supervision. 

I hope the situation in BC opens up discussions elsewhere. I think a lot of school pets need a better standard of care and definitely an evacuation plan.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine