Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheep races banned
An animal rights group, Lambenations, created a petition against the sheep version of the Grand National.The petition got over fifty thousand signatures. This was enough to cause the Hoo Farm Animal kingdom to cancel the race.

https://www.livekindly.co/sheep-saved-fr...-campaign/

I had no idea that sheep were raced. They seem an unlikely race animal. I can't imagine that they like to race or are any good at it. These races were being done for the humans involved. I am glad an animal rights group was able to do something to help the sheep. Now if they can just do something about the other ways sheep are mistreated.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

As regular members of this forum know, I had a small flock of friendly sheep for many years, plus we still keep two senior ewes. Let me say first of all, that I am opposed to sheep racing, which I had not even heard of until I saw your thread, Catherine!

However, according to the article, Lambenations founder, Samantha Francis, "...explained that as prey animals, sheep only run out of fear." That is not not correct. Whenever I used to rattle the sheep food bucket, the sheep would run towards me at a breakneck speed, haha! They would also rush to be first to get at the food in the trays. Sheep do not run only out of fear. Also, lambs will often race around a field in a group, out of joy in life, not fear. It always made us laugh how they loved to run around and around in groups, sometimes changing direction suddenly or leaping in the air.

I think that her organisation would do better to put more energy into seeking a total ban of the worst forms of sheep racing described later in the article - "mutton bustin' ", which occurs only in the USA. Children sitting on terrified sheep, who are projected out of a chute into an arena. Now that sounds terrible and dangerous, not just for the sheep but also for the children...
Quote:I think that her organisation would do better to put more energy into seeking a total ban of the worst forms of sheep racing described later in the article - "mutton bustin' ", which occurs only in the USA. Children sitting on terrified sheep, who are projected out of a chute into an arena. Now that sounds terrible and dangerous, not just for the sheep but also for the children...

I think you are right. This is much worse. Who ever thought of such a thing. It is not good for the sheep and I doubt it is good for the children. A child could easily fall and be hurt or even killed. I am sure sheep get hurt all the time. They are not built for such activities.

Why do we keep using animals in such strange and inappropriate ways?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine