Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayers for this dog
The Taliban in Afghanistan have captured a military working dog,
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/06/...port-says/

The dog was carrying a camera and torch, and possibly other equipment in a harness on its back, when it was captured by the Taliban.

Although the dog is technically a prisoner of war, as technically he is a serving officer, no doubt he will be shot, and will not be treated as a prisoner of war in accordance with the Geneva Convention, as Islam regards dogs as 'unclean', but let's all say a prayer, or send our love to this innocent little thing.

I have already made an appeal tonight for me to rescue this dog personally, but I am sure that will be impossible under the bizarre military protocols of both sides, and my pleas will fall on deaf ears.

We may have to pray for his Soul that he will have a good spirit journey, as he probably will pass over very soon.
I feel sick at heart just hearing about this. I don't think the Taliban treats any prisoners of war properly. I hate to think what has happened to the dog.

They might not actually recognize him as a soldier and that would be better. I do fear for his life. I wish someone like you could rescue him.

To be a military dog he had to be a brave, devoted creature. I think dogs that serve like that do understand that they are helping people.

I just pray that he is safe or at least in peace.Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poor puppy. Such a sweet face. There is no telling what they did. I wanna believe the best but it is the Taliban Sad
You said it all. They do not even treat their own people well. Some people make a life out of not being nice.
That poor dog.Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I honestly couldn't sleep all night because of it. Every time I closed my eyes, that dog kept going through my mind. Tried to sleep 3 times.
He stands there so patiently, his tail down, aware that he's with strangers, not liking it much, aware that something is happening, looking resigned in some way....I don't know -I can't put it into words.

It's said he's connected with the British military not the ISAF as was first thought.

Update:
Although this came out as 'breaking news' yesterday, this isn't news apparently, I have just found out the video was taken a few weeks back. I didn't see that before.
There is an addition at the end which says the Afghanis do not dislike dogs and have used them for centuries...
And on the Al-Emara website video, http://shahamat-movie.com/ there is a point at which the dog actually wags his tail and shakes himself. He hears another dog in the background somewhere. Also I did observe that he was not treated harshly by the men...I don't know if that means anything. Let's hope it does
(02-07-2014, 08:31 AM)Tobi Wrote: The Taliban in Afghanistan have captured a military working dog,
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/06/...port-says/

The dog was carrying a camera and torch, and possibly other equipment in a harness on its back, when it was captured by the Taliban.

Although the dog is technically a prisoner of war, as technically he is a serving officer, no doubt he will be shot, and will not be treated as a prisoner of war in accordance with the Geneva Convention, as Islam regards dogs as 'unclean', but let's all say a prayer, or send our love to this innocent little thing.

I have already made an appeal tonight for me to rescue this dog personally, but I am sure that will be impossible under the bizarre military protocols of both sides, and my pleas will fall on deaf ears.

We may have to pray for his Soul that he will have a good spirit journey, as he probably will pass over very soon.

Very noble of you, dear Tobi. God bless you.

Apparently the dog was 'fitted' with a camera and several grenades... I'm wondering why?

The Taliban as Muslims find dogs unclean and as they are ultra-Islamists that doesn't bode well.

(If you have a spare moment Google Bobbie the dog, regimental mascot, who made the last stand alongside the British soldiers at the Battle of Maiwand in 1880. Against all odds, he did get home alive.)
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
I share your concern. The situation with dogs and Muslims is complicated. The vast majority of Muslims adopt the position that dogs are unclean and that if they come into physical contact with one (just by touching), then they must ritually cleanse themselves (for a week, from memory). Yet, as with so many organised religions, opinions vary. Some Muslims keep dogs as guard dogs or to protect other animals.

I sadly feel it likely that this poor dog has already been shot. He has served their propaganda purposes, after being paraded on a video. I don't think they would keep a former UK military dog as a pet!

I'm a British citizen and I love my country of birth. But I am totally opposed to the use of dogs in wars. Wars are dirty human affairs. Dogs didn't get asked their opinions on whether they wanted a war, or whether they wanted to risk their lives sniffing out bombs. It is humans who trained them, using the dog's natural trust of humans. (It is similar with dolphins, who are trained to put explosives on the hulls of ships).

Many blessings for your concern for this poor dog, Tobi! May he run free on the astral!
Thank you Knight, for that. I shall google the dog you mentioned. I would be very interested in reading the tale of Bobbie.

Yes LPC, my own instincts are honestly coming to that conclusion. Sometimes (like the story our Noble Knight mentioned) things can beat the odds, even when the odds are stacked against them.

But I can see they probably wouldn't be interested in keeping the Western dog as a pet -particularly as he came across the line loaded with cameras (grenades? -was that a grenade the Taliban soldier was displaying? I thought it was a camera....) They are likely to shoot him. It is a mystery. No-one knows what has happened to him, as there is no news. The only glimmer of hope I had was that there were obviously other dogs in the vicinity (or one dog) because I heard it barking on the video. Colonel responded to this, and lost some of his tension when he heard it. So these Taliban soldiers must obviously keep dogs/a dog. Probably for guard duties... though the background bark didn't sound defensive/threatening. And it didn't sound like the bark of a locked-up scared dog either. It sounded friendly and pretty normal.
But of course they are not going to be too kindly disposed to the newcomer....

It makes me wonder why this video and story was released yesterday as breaking news, now animal welfare organisations are talking about it, and I am receiving emails from certain ones, encouraging us all to share the story on Facebook. Now why was this story only released yesterday -when the incident apparently happened 23rd December? The Taliban have deliberately held that back for some reason -and yet it seemed to mean a lot to them....

I contacted the secretary of the Afghan President during the night. I told him that I am an ordinary civilian British woman, with no military connections, and wish to take the dog for animal welfare motives. And I do not care WHO 'owns' him or how he's been trained. As far as I'm concerned he is now on permanent leave. I would literally go out there and get him.
By the way, I haven't heard anything back, and don't really expect to. But I had to do it -put my money where my mouth is.....

But yes....LPC, it is wise to be realistic. So I send him my love, as I'm sure thousands of people are doing right now (judging by the responses to this news bulletin)
So if you can hear us, dear Colonel....run free in those astral fields, and I do so hope you meet Misty. She would like you very much.
That's very noble of you, Tobi. Should he still be on this earth, don't forget you need a passport and visa! Perhaps the British military had a dog passport for him (not joking - it could get him into the UK without quarantine for six months).
Oh yes, LPC. That is a brilliant thought.

Well, no responses from either side so far, and I have no idea of the intrigue behind all this (can't possibly have) but surely animal welfare counts for something in the whole affair?

I cannot imagine me just 'being able to get him off the Taliban' (if he's still alive) The government will surely laugh at the communication from some nutty English woman! It's no doubt been trashed.

And as for the US and the Brits....(not sure who he 'belongs' to...even if he's still alive) it is tantamount to me barging in and asking them to hand over sensitive government property to me. Or hand over a soldier in the course of a covert military operation! Because I guess he's either one, or both of those things. Can't somehow imagine that happening either....
Nutty English woman syndrome again!

But if an animal welfare organisation got deeply involved, maybe they could swing the balance...? Maybe the WSPA. I will do what I can.

Strange, but something about him -something about the way he conducts himself - really reminds me of Misty.