Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayers for this dog
It is interesting that the story has been made public right now. I saw it on TV this morning.
I am thinking that the dog is still alive because they see his value as a prisoner of war. The Taliban does not have to respect what the dog is to know that the British Government has placed a value on him.
Maybe they want to trade him or use him in some way, but that only works if he is alive.

Tobi, you may not be the only one trying to rescue the dog. There may be a great many people out there who want to take him. There is a very strong animal welfare movement. It is not organized or actually united as a group, but any time something happens to animals it reacts very strongly. Look at how quickly petitions happen and even get results.
I think if the dog were dead they would have kept it quiet so now we just have to wait and hope for the best. Now that the public knows about it, the British Government can't ignore it either. Public opinion would be very much against them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes I am sure there are thousands of people who would like to get him out of there.
In this world, where there can be a lot of disregard for animals, there can also be a tremendous outpouring of willingness to help and care, and I often do think that compassion DOES outweigh disrespect on the whole...

I don't think the Taliban are bothered about public opinion. But you are right, Colonel must have some value for them.
One good thing was that he was not unduly scared among these men, he wasn't cringing etc. And the sound of a dog in the background was a good sign. The Afghans do have working dogs generally, so I have heard. So they don't hate them.
I used to know two Afghans -brothers -when I lived in London. They were good neighbours and friends. They used to come round for dinner sometimes, and we went to their place. They liked our two cats, and didn't view dogs as spiritually unclean animals. They went back to Afghanistan to sign up during the war with Russia. Nice guys, both of them.
It seems the dog was with the SAS ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-raid.html
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote:Yes I am sure there are thousands of people who would like to get him out of there.
In this world, where there can be a lot of disregard for animals, there can also be a tremendous outpouring of willingness to help and care, and I often do think that compassion DOES outweigh disrespect on the whole...

I agree with you. I think the good is stronger and it does win out in the end.

The situation for this dog however is totally uncertain for good or bad. Now that it is public both side have to be careful what they do. If the army has plans they would hardly tell the public. The Taliban must have had a reason for making the dogs presence known. There may be some serious negotiations going on. That stuff would hardly be made public.

Remember the American Embassy hostage taking in Iran?
It was only after the Canadian Embassy closed and all the "Canadians" had flown home, that we found out that some Americans were hiding in the Embassy and were rescued by the Canadians. Before it happened, not a word leaked out about the whole thing.
Catherine

The Taliban are reported to say they might keep the dog, and use him, as he has been trained.
Or they might be willing to trade him "If someone offers."
He is a useful hostage at this point. They say he is being treated well, fed, etc. I hope they are telling the truth.

Handlers and their dogs apparently form a very deep and close bond. The soldier who is/was Colonel's handler will desperately want him back. But may be unable to do anything about it -at least yet.
But the situation is very sensitive politically.

I don't think they are interested in some nuts English woman offering to take the dog!
I hope the dog is returned to his handler in the end. That would be the best for both of hem. You are right, they form strong bonds. I am sure the handler is really suffering right. His anxiety about his dog must be unbearable. So really there are two of them that we should be concerned about.

I just hope in the end, things work out. I think whatever happens, the dog will be well looked after. You are right, it is a very politically sensitive situation. I wonder what the government is planning to do.Huh
Catherine

Yes, my heart goes out to his handler, whoever that is, and we shall never know who.
It could possibly have been a Special Forces soldier, Captain Richard Holloway of the Royal Engineers, age 29, who was killed while on a mission about the date that Colonel was captured.

My heart goes out to that soldier's family as well, and to any who have been killed in action, including the military working dogs.

I am sorry in many ways that dogs have to be used in war like this. They are innocents really, responding only as they have been trained, and doing that because of the love and loyalty they have for their handlers.
Yet they are brave souls indeed, putting that love, loyalty and training above any fears they could naturally feel.

It's interesting that the working dogs are given a higher rank than that of their handler. Colonel's handler might have been a Major. The reason they are given a higher rank, apparently, is so the soldiers will always remember to respect them.
An outward sign of something they must instinctively know in their hearts.

Quite a heart-rending affair....war. For all those brave souls and their loved ones, including the dogs.

A song for Colonel...and for all the soldiers:    

A lovely thought, dear Tobi...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Very touching song.Smiley19

Both my parents were WW2 vets and both my grandfathers were WW1 vets. I think that is enough for one family.
We have lost a lot of Canadians in Afghanistan. I feel for the families.
Nothing makes up for what they have lost.
It is a heart break that they send dogs to war. It is typical of their good nature and desire to help us that they go and serve willingly.

Interesting that the dogs are given rank. I do hope they are given the respect they deserve. I hope the handler is alright, but you may be right about who he is. We will never be told.
I really hope the dog is safe and well treated. I hope he can find his way home.

Why can't we come up with a better way to solve things than war. It has never worked before, why do we think it will work now.
Catherine

The SAS have vowed to get him out of there:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/4586...-shoot-out

There is a Facebook Page: "Free Colonel the dog"
https://www.facebook.com/freecolonelthedog

I am dubious about petitions being able to do the trick, but it's worth a try. There are petitions on the "Free Colonel" Facebook page.