Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets are not disposable!
All of us who are animal lovers understand this. We know that pets are not disposable. Sadly there seems to be a real tendency to get a pet for as long as you want it. I should know. My guinea pigs are rescues. Martha and the Muffin were found abandoned in an apartment when the tenant moved out. Larry and Joey were dropped of by a woman who doesn't need them any more now that she is having a baby. Biscuit was dropped off by someone who just didn't want a guinea pig any more. (It is just as well, he was half starved)

I know of two iguanas recently who were found in different homes after the people moved out. Lichen was in good shape and has gone to a good home. Finley is very thin and is still too stressed for adoption. We will work with him and soon enough he will be in a stable home too. You take on an iguana you take on a big responsibility. It is worth it, but you just can't leave the lizard behind to starve and even die when you move out.

I found an interesting letter on the subject.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...OLC2vLDm8w

The editor puts it so well. Pets are not temporary or disposable. They are a commitment. You talk about adopting a pet because it is an adoption. You commit to being there for the pets whole life. That is not just when you need the pet or the pet is young and healthy or the pet is meeting your needs. It is a lifetime commitment. 

A number of my older snakes are rehomes from people who didn't want them anymore. Earl was past ten, possibly past 15 when I brought him home. How do you dump an animal like Earl. Earl was a beautiful ,dignified, gentle and loving creature.
I like to think the best part of his life was the time he had with me. I was committed to making him happy and comfortable. 
That is what the real pet experience is about.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, the "get a pet in haste and repent at leisure" syndrome is still very common. Rabbits are still being bought for children at Easter, then being dumped after a few days or weeks when the daily cleaning and feeding becomes a chore for the so-called humans who buy them. Pets need love and commitment, as you rightly say.

You mentioned guinea pigs. What happened to the lady who helped in a guinea pig rescue in Wales? She was doing great work.
Quote:You mentioned guinea pigs. What happened to the lady who helped in a guinea pig rescue in Wales? She was doing great work.
I have not been able to get ahold of Cibach. She was in the middle of a move and them we haven't heard. Private emails have not been answered, but maybe in the move she changed email addresses. I was going to try something else. Good thing you reminded me.

Too many people are unable to make a commitment. They don't commit to people or jobs or school. They certainly don't commit to pets. I had people leave a dwarf hamster with me while they went on vacation. It was an older hamster so it had maybe 6 months of life left. They got a puppy while on vacation and they did not come back for the hamster. I had to call them to find  out why they didn't come back. That is the lesson in commitment they taught their daughter. She kept her hamster until she got a "better" pet and then she abandoned the hamster with me.

That leaves the rest of us to pick up the pieces and provide homes for the abandoned ones.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine