Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition: Tell Burberry to stop using animal fur
Burberry -killing fur animals for fashion!

https://help.four-paws.org/en/burberry-k...ls-fashion

Please sign this petition:

"Call on Burberry to stop killing countless animals for fashion and to banish real fur from their collections.

The British luxury clothing label Burberry has a long tradition. They are famous for their Burberry check and their trench coats, they are an appointed supplier to the royal family – and they use fur! Foxes, raccoon dogs and mink end up in their collections as collars, or as the trim on shawls and hoods.

Burberry justifies their use of fur by claiming that their Finnish supplier, Saga Furs, is particularly strongly committed to high standards of animal welfare in breeding animals for fur. However, new photographic evidence shows that fur animals on Finnish farms which produce for Saga Furs have to live just like anywhere else in the global fur industry. Shut in tiny wire cages, below which mounds of faeces build up, the animals are unable to live according to their nature. Many are morbidly obese and suffer from infected eyes. On their last day they are killed by electrocution in full view of their fellow animals."
(Quoted from the Four Paws Petition site)
I am glad you posted this link. Fur farming is just as cruel as factory farming. Both need to be banned. There is no good reason to keep any animal in such inhumane conditions for any reason. Angry

There is certainly no good reason to wear fur. How could a person feel good going out wearing fur from an animal that suffered its whole life and died miserably.

Surely a big name in fashion could set a higher standard and change things for the better. If they refused to use fur, others would follow their lead. I hope public opinion can sway them in the right direction.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just signed. Killing animals just for their skin is inexcusable, at least in my book. The foxes, mink and raccoons aren't eaten afterwards; one assumes that the corpses are just disposed of somewhere.

Regarding this company being an appointed supplier to the royal family, it seems that Queen was seen in a old fur coat around Christmas time, but Kate does not wear fur. (I just googled "Does the Queen wear fur coats?"). Neither did Princess Diana in her day (bless her!).
Some of those 'old school' ladies still think it is fine to wear a fur coat. I know they close off their minds to the cruelty, or else they just don't know about it. My mother was a nice lady but she said if ever she came into a lot of money she would buy a mink coat!
It baffles me....
I am glad Kate won't wear fur. I have a special fondness for Princess Diana, and am not at all surprised she wouldn't wear fur either.
Quote:Regarding this company being an appointed supplier to the royal family, it seems that Queen was seen in a old mink coat around Christmas time, but Kate does not wear fur. (I just googled "Does the Queen wear fur coats?"). Neither did Princess Diana in her day (bless her!).
Quote:Some of those 'old school' ladies still think it is fine to wear a fur coat. I know they close off their minds to the cruelty, or else they just don't know about it. My mother was a nice lady but she said if ever she came into a lot of money she would buy a mink coat!
It baffles me....
I am glad Kate won't wear fur. I have a special fondness for Princess Diana, and am not at all surprised she wouldn't wear fur either.

I guess it is old school vs. new thinking. Women of the older generations have never really thought about where their fur coats came from. A fur coat represents something to them that is very different from what it represents to us. They do not make the connection between their coat and little animals living horrible lives and then dying cruelly. I don't think they can make the connection. They have had a pattern of thinking all their lives and changing it is hard.
I am glad Kate thinks differently. Change will come as she raises her son to think differently. Of course princess Diana raised her sons to think differently. These are people who will be able to change things with their influence and connections.
Sadly the change does not come soon enough for the animals being farmed right now. Mink are not sweet and cuddly, but they do not deserve what they get. Even a convicted killer is treated better.
Catherine

The article about the Queen is here: http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/26/queen-crit...y-4242750/
Thanks for the link LPC. It is odd that the Queen changed her coat for the morning service! Maybe she was advised to....
It also looks as if Princess Anne is wearing fur trim on her cape. Though of course it may be fake fur (?) I have a very good fake fur jacket which is warm, and definitely ersatz! But many people have thought it was fur.

Yes Catherine. Every single thing people do to raise awareness of animal cruelty and animal farming methods etc will eventually bring evolution in thinking, and change. Great changes have come about in only 2 generations. We must not give up ever, or think it's hopeless if we hear on the news of more cruel incidents.
People already do not think the way they used to, as a result of being educated about animal welfare.
Quote:Yes Catherine. Every single thing people do to raise awareness of animal cruelty and animal farming methods etc will eventually bring evolution in thinking, and change. Great changes have come about in only 2 generations. We must not give up ever, or think it's hopeless if we hear on the news of more cruel incidents.
People already do not think the way they used to, as a result of being educated about animal welfare.

We have an influence when we discuss things on the Forum. I keep an eye on the stats and the number of posts, replies and members is quite different than the number of people who read what we write.
We have an audience who reads our posts and I hope learn from them. That is why I post some of the things I post. I figure our discussion can help influence people. If we convince even one person to stop wearing fur then it is all worth it.
Catherine