Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horse Barn Fire...16 horses lost
Sad 
This is so sad. The Sunnybrook Stables are on the north side of Toronto. The main barn caught fire and then a secondary barn. 
Sixteen horses have died in the fire. Fortunately emergency personnel acted quickly and 13 horses were rescued and transported to a safe location.  The cause of the fire is still not known.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/05...nside.html

I have never gone riding there, but I have thought about it. It is a local landmark.
Horses are so vulnerable in a fire. All animals in barns are vulnerable. Every year large numbers of animals die, trapped in barns.
I keep asking myself why there are not more safety precautions for barns. Some of the buildings are quite old and the wood is very dry. Do we need new fire proof barns. Does there need to be a much stricter fire safety code for barns than what we have now? The answer has to be a yes. If the fire safety codes were good enough barn fires would be rare.  Sadly they are not. 
Hundreds of animals die every year in barn fires.

This stable had sprinklers in its newer arena, but not many in the actual stables. Would a better sprinkler system have helped. 
Maybe. Is there something in the design of barns that makes them vulnerable? I just wish, given the number of barn fires, that someone would do a serious study to determine why they happen and what can be done to prevent them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh no those poor babies they would have been terrified.
They never stood a chance. It took some quick work to save the ones they did. Barn fires are so terrible.

There is talk on the radio right now that there might have been fireworks in the park area that the barn is in. It is the Victoria Day long weekend and people have been using fireworks all weekend. People are not always careful with fireworks.
Catherine

How very sad and tragic for all those horses who passed. I am glad some managed to be rescued but so sad for those who couldn't be.

Yes it does seem barns are vulnerable to fire. And fires can be started from the smallest things we might not think about, such as a shaft of sunlight through even a tiny piece of convex glass igniting a tiny piece of straw.
Sprinklers throughout would have helped I am sure.
So is that very near where you live Catherine?
The barn was in the north east and I live in the south west of Toronto. I have never been there, but I knew about it and I know people who know people who suffered losses. Everyone who is personally involved is devastated. I understand that it was a good stable and the horses were well loved.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/05...-fire.html

They are not sure of the cause and maybe they never will be, but the fireworks possibility has been raised.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ba...-1.4673403

I just wish there was some way they could build safer stables.
Catherine