Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida teacher drowns raccoons with his class
A high school teacher in Florida, who was teaching agriculture, live trapped two raccoons and a possum. He then had his class assist in drowning the animals. One of the students recorded part of the incident on his phone.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/teacher-allege...d=55204582

Drowning is not a humane way to euthanize and animal and the way they did it was particularly nasty. You can see the animal fighting to get air as they deliberately use a hose to pour water on its face.

https://people.com/crime/florida-teacher...ool-class/

An investigation of the teacher and the incident  was begun, but the teacher has since retired and is no longer under school board jurisdiction.

I think this calls into question the whole agriculture program. What is it teaching these students.

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180524...chools-ffa

There should be no part of agriculture that involves cruelly killing helpless animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

“While law enforcement tells us the teacher did not do anything illegal, his actions before students are certainly questionable”

What is it about US law being so weak? Why can he not be prosecuted for animal cruelty? Being retired does not exclude him from the laws of the land.
..."The teacher may not have done anything illegal..." ??

I am with LPC in wondering why at least in that State (probably everywhere?) -it is perfectly legal to commit acts of great cruelty against animals. And yes, just because he has retired from the school, doesn't mean he shouldn't be prosecuted for animal cruelty. What has being retired got to do with it?

Those poor creatures were tortured, not merely dispatched. I am very sorry anyone can think doing that is okay.
Quote:Those poor creatures were tortured, not merely dispatched. I am very sorry anyone can think doing that is okay.
This is the point and I am glad one of the kids had sense to get a video and show it to his mother. What about the other kids. 
Were they all so desensitized that they didn't react.

I don't know why the law can't touch him.
Being retired means the school board has no more authority over him. He know longer works for then so they can't touch him.

Surely this should be considered an act of animal cruelty. There must be some law that can get him.

Maybe a law about corrupting children could be applied.

Perhaps parents could sue him for endangering their children. Exposure to acts of cruelty are not good for anyone, but they are worse for young minds.
Catherine

By chance, I came across this follow-up article. It shows the chaotic position regarding animal welfare laws in different states. In Pennsylvania a man was charged and pleaded guilty to animal cruelty for drowning raccoons - but this teacher, who committed the offence in front of a group of children, will not be charged....because he lives in Florida. Cruelty is cruelty. America is far too soft on animal cruelty. See:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/anim...be-charged

From that article:
"The American Veterinary Medical Association’s 102-page guideline states that drowning “is not a means of euthanasia and is inhumane.”
The Florida state prosecution machine seems to have ignored that point.
There is no consistency in the law. Each state makes its own laws about certain things There are places where you can step across a line into another state and be guilty even though what you did was perfectly legal on the other side of the line.

Even if drowning raccoons is legal in Florida it still seems to lack good judgement to do it in front of a group of students.
It is disturbing that some of the kids were not bothered by the incident. When they had to hold the animals under with sticks and spray water in the raccoon's face it became a deliberate act of cruelty. The animals were struggling for life and they deliberately held them down.
I would not want any child to experience something like that.
Catherine

(06-02-2018, 04:18 PM)Catherine Wrote: Each state makes its own laws about certain things.

Crazy - and the outcome is that this cruel man gets away with it.
I felt sick reading this what sort of teacher does something like this I wouldn't want them teaching my children morally wrong if not legally.
I think they need to really look at their school curriculum  and their teacher hiring practices. He didn't even hesitate before he killed those animals. What else has he been doing with the children.  I agree. I would not want a teacher like that teaching my child. Maybe the parents of children that are upset by this incident can sue the school system for damage done to their children. 

Teachers would be more careful if there was a chance of being sued.

There is no chance of the law protecting the raccoons or in this case giving them justice. The teacher will have retired on a full pension and he can live comfortably for the rest of his life.
Catherine