Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's egg laying time
Quote:I hope you two don't mind my silly comment....but when I look at those beautiful snakes with their slender bodies....and then I look at the size of those eggs....I think OUCH!!
I am always surprized at what the girls are able to produce.
The eggs are soft however and that makes them easier to deliver. Also they are smaller when they are first laid. They gain size as the baby grows inside the egg.  That is how I know the eggs are okay. If they don't grow then the baby is not developing.

Most of the corn snakes I know of in North America have smaller clutches. Thirty eggs is not unheard of, but it is not common.
The reptiles here are effected by the weather no matter how temperature controlled the terrariums are. 
They don't start laying eggs until the weather warms up and they seldom lay eggs after it becomes too hot.

Double clutching happens, but not regularly. 

I am right in the city. Even if I had no curtains at all there is little natural light coming in. The houses are too close together.
I give my reptiles a day night cycle with lights on timers. However we change our clocks twice a year so the cycle gets messed up.

In about two weeks I will have a succession of clutches hatching. Five of the clutches were laid in a 5 day period, two of them on the same day.
I still have hope that there may be some double clutching or a couple of first time clutches. I have younger females that could possibly breed this year. It is always exciting. Until you open the egg box and see the hatchlings it is never certain what you will get. Sometimes there are surprizes.

I will get pictures.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine