Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protect your pets from ticks
We are now into tick season in some parts of the world and it is important that as pet owners we know what to do. 
Some ticks carry Lyme Disease and it can transmit to dogs and even to humans. It is a serious illness and prevention is still the best way to deal with it.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a...icks/80875

As global warming get worse the ticks will be extending their ranges further north. Even if ticks were not a problem in the past, they are probably a problem now. It is good to be prepared and to learn to check pets for ticks. It is also good to check yourself and know how to remove a tick once it has started feeding.

If you can't remove the tick yourself a trained medical professional will do it for you. The first step to tick safety is to check for ticks in the first place. With the possibility of Lyme Disease it is better to be safe than sorry.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The quicker a Tick is removed the better the chances not to get Lyme disease. Even if it has started feeding if it has only been on a very short time and is removed properly there may be no disease spread.
The trouble with Tick bites is we don't feel them, so it has to become a habit to wear light coloured clothing in wooded or grassy areas (even parks and gardens!) They are easy to see crawling around on light coloirs. For dogs and cats always check them for Ticks after a walk. Short haired dogs are easier to check.
There are chemical Tick repellants and it's hard to know if it is better to use them or not use them. But with a long haired dog Ticks are hard to see.
I used the check/removal method always with Misty because I didn't use chemicals on her. But they were easy to see on her blonde short fur.
Yes, I did the same with Puce. But with Forgy I use neem (also called margosa) repellent, which is a natural product. He hasn't got a tick yet.
Neem is great. We use it for reptile mites. They are small blood sucking mites that attach to the skin if the reptile and even get under the scales. Neem kills them. It is good to know it works for ticks. I hate the smell of it, but it would be better than a tick bite and the risk of Lyme Disease.

Does Neem work on fleas too? 

I wonder if ticks are the real reason we wear light coloured clothing in the summer.
Catherine

I'm no expert on the matter, but I thought that the smell of neem is so repellent to tiny insects that they do not go on to a treated animal.
I think for reptiles it coats the skin  with a light oil and the oil also coats the mites and kills them.

I guess whatever makes Neem smell so bad is the chemical that repels the insects.

I have used a strong tea made of Rosemary to remove bird mites from a hamster. As soon as I rubbed it into the fur the mites started to jump off. I didn't dare use anything stronger. I wonder if the Rosemary would help with ticks. It would be easy to spray it on a dog and rub it in. The fur would dry quickly and the dog would smell nice.  The only side effect is the tendency to turn white fur  pink.  I had pink hamsters for a few weeks. A pink dog would be pretty. A dog Forgy's colour might look peach coloured. It would be a nice look and insect free.
Catherine

removing Ticks is hard, and they are very tedious work.
I have come across this medicine from one of my friend, and took it from online store. and it worked very well for me.
and i been using it from then on , instead i been following that site from then on.

(Edited by a moderator. The advertising link was removed, pending admin. decision.)
Using a very fine comb right after a walk  would remove the ticks from the fur before they have time to attach. I would think a bath would  help too. There are natural herbs that repel insects and are safe to use on dogs. I would prefer that to a chemical product.
Catherine