Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia killing strays ahead of the World Cup
Quote:The link, sadly, goes to a generic page and does not mention sled dogs. Maybe that was why I hadn't heard of this before. Anyway, I am surprised that a very civilised country like Canada did not have more of a reaction to the mass killing. (Sorry for the departure from the original topic of this thread!)

There was a strong reaction at the time. I think charges were laid. The killing was done in secret, but the guy who did the killing wanted to collect compensation money because it effected him. The SPCA got involved

In many ways this is not a departure from the main topic. There is a similarity in the killing of dogs, strays or sled dogs. In both cases they are seen as expendable and lacking in value. When it is not convenient to have them around then they are killed.
The lives of dogs are not valued, not in Russia, Vancouver or the dog meat markets of Yulin. It is the same attitude that devalues the life of a creature and uses it without regard for the creature in any way.

Yes we want to stop the killing in Russia now, but we also need to change people's attitudes towards dogs. If that doesn't change then killings like this will just keep happening.

I am sure there was a thread about the sled dogs. It was such a hot topic at the time.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine