Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelter euthanizes dog in labour
Sad 
A pit bull was brought in the a Texas shelter by her owners. The next day a volunteer handled her and noticed that she was in labour and had already given birth to one puppy. She alerted the management so they could provide the dog with something better than a bare floor to give birth on.
Staff moved quickly, but what they did was kill her as she was having her puppies. Then they killed the puppies that were already born. 
The volunteer was deeply upset and finally made the story public.
Not surprisingly she is no longer volunteering at that shelter.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/04/animal-sh...d-7604892/

https://www.10tv.com/article/volunteer-c...rth-kennel

I think the volunteer says it all when she says "If this is acceptable to the leadership of the shelter, then what is out of bounds? "

It violates common decency to kill a mother as she labours. Where is their humanity?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Cruel, brutal and totally unacceptable. The dog was obviously not aggressive as she greeted the volunteer nicely.

So very very sad:

"Her last moments, while she lay dying, were spent still trying to clean her newly birthed puppies"

Bless them on the Other Side. At least they went together, poor Souls. This facility has a lot to answer for and they should not get away with this scot-free! That was a wicked thing to do to that dear dog and her pups. Heartbreaking.
It was indecent. I just can't picture a person actually killing a mother dog in labour. I hope I never meet a person like that.
Even if she was aggressive, they had not had time to assess her. Also the puppies had done nothing wrong. How do you justify killing puppies as they are being born.

I hope there are consequences.

If there are no consequences now somehow an action like this will come back on the people who did this. It has to.

I feel for the volunteer. She must regret telling them that the dog was in labour. She did it for the right reasons, but the outcome was bad. If she had known she could have let the dog alone to deliver in peace. A bare concrete floor is better than what she got.
Catherine

My feeling is, even if the volunteer had kept quiet, the poor mother dog and her pups were already on death row. It would only have taken a few hours for someone to notice....where there was one dog, now there are six (or whatever) The last thing these "jobsworths" want is more dogs to have to look after and administer to.

What a cold calculating regime that shelter is under. And there are many others just like it. More like a death camp than a "shelter". That word has begin to mean nothing. No one is sheltered in one of those conveyor-belt death camps for dogs.
The word shelter has lost its meaning. Sometimes the word rescue is just as bad. 
They took her in knowing she was pregnant. If they were not going to do right by her they should have just put her down right away and save her the distress. They never meant to do right by her. 

You are right, no matter what the volunteer did the dog and her puppies were going to be killed. It would feel bad to have been a part of it even unintentionally. 
I wish she could have taken the dog and run, but the dog was already in labour and had delivered a puppy. Maybe she could have taken the puppy and saved it, but she probably couldn't have gotten it out of the building. 

The word death camp is appropriate. If they had looked around there are places that take pit bulls. The puppies could have been given a chance. Maybe the dog showed some aggressive behavior(If the people were telling the truth which I doubt) maybe it was because she was pregnant and needed a quiet place to give birth. The people were not meeting her needs.
Catherine