Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good bye Martha
Martha and her daughter the Muffin were left behind in an apartment with no food or water when the people moved out about 2 1/2 years ago. I ended up taking them. Martha has been so much fun. She is a character. A few months ago I bonded Martha and Muffin with Biscuit and Cinnamon. Martha was already aging fast so I am glad I did that for the Muffin's sake. It meant she wouldn't be left alone when her mother died.

Clearly she has been dying for weeks now. She would fall asleep while she was eating and she has lost so much weight. She has shrunk to half her size. I have known the end was near, it was just a matter of time.

Saturday morning Martha had a great breakfast and some of her favourite hay. Later I cleaned their enclosure so it was all fresh and nice. Then I gave Martha and all the other piggies fresh corn husks, a real seasonal treat. Before I went out they all got half a cob of corn and a full bowl of pellets. When I left Martha was happily munching on all her favourite things.

When I got back home, I checked the piggies right away. Martha was lying down again, but she was more still than usual.
I think she lay down for a nap and just didn't wake up.

[Image: eg4aBX5WuX6z_SiB38DSH93GtRMqh4j6wefsTZuK...=w540-h275]
Martha is the piggie on the right. The dark faced one in the middle is the Muffin. Cinnamon is on the left and biscuit is the white and cream one at the back.

I am glad I gave her such a beautiful last day. She did love to eat. The little Muffin is happy with the other two piggies so they are still a herd together. They miss Martha, but she was so frail towards the end that they have seen her slipping away.
Martha was so frightened after her experience of abandonment, but I think I gave her a real sense of safety and security.
She always knew there would be food. I am going to miss my little Martha. She has been such a character. Smiley19 
It is going to seem quiet without her larger than life personality.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Blessings to lttle Martha Heart 

To live two and a half years after her rescue says a lot about how happy she must have been. I don't know exactly how long a Guinea Pig's average life span is, but she must have lived a fairly full life by the sound of it.

But even so....they do leave an empty space when they leave. Well, on this Earth anyway. Their love and knowing we have loved them too, fills up the Heart.

Go well little Martha Angel
The average guinea pig life is five years. Martha did well and probably was five when she died. 
I think most of her life was happy. Once she was rescued she felt secure and she had everything she could possibly want.
Still it is an empty space and the other piggies miss her. 

She really like Norbert who died last year at 7 years old. I like to think of her joining my great piggie herd on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. Some are old friends and others are the friends of friends. They can have a great piggie party and celebrate all the good times they had with me.  Someday I will join them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine