Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Service dog seeking help is ignored
Raider is a service dog who helps Tessa deal with her anxiety and autism. Lately Tessa has been having seizures and Raider is now trained to deal with that. Tessa fell, tripped really and Raider assumed it was a seizure. They were in a grocery store and the dog approached someone for help.  Tessa found a woman pushing the dog away and ignoring it.

She used this as a chance to educate people about service dogs. Raider was in his vest, so he is on duty. He approached the woman alone. Service dogs are never alone unless their person needs help. If a service dog in uniform approaches you by itself it needs you to follow it because someone is in trouble.

https://people.com/pets/service-dog-igno...save-life/

I think it is great that Tessa posted something about the incident. I am not sure I would have immediately realized that the dog was looking for help. I might have looked around because I would have figured the dog was lost. Now I know that service dogs will ask for help in an emergency my response will be much better.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes I'm glad also that Tessa posted this to make people more aware.

Wouldn't anyone think twice when they saw the dog was wearing a service jacket? I know I would have done, even if I hadn't known exactly what service dogs are trained to do.
I would at least wonder why the dog is alone. Service dogs are never alone.  It is good that she posted this. Many of us would want to act, but we wouldn't be sure what to do.

I hope many people read about this and act appropriately if they encounter a service dog in need.  Service dogs don't just run around and act up. They are very disciplined and well trained.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine