Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killdeer nest holds up concert
A Killdeer set up her nest right where the Ottawa Bluesfest Festival main stage was supposed to be built. She was sitting on four eggs so all work on the stage has been on hold. Killdeer are a protected species.  With permission from Environment and Climate Change Canada the nest was very carefully moved.

The move was a success an three of the four eggs has successfully hatched.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/bl...-1.4729982

I am happy to hear that they respected a protected species enough to hold up construction on a the main stage.
They also respected the fact that she is a mother and everyone is happy that the eggs have hatched successfully.

It is a happy ending for everyone and I hope they have a good music festival.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The did the right thing nice to see for a change.
I was impressed when I read this. Maybe the world is becoming a better place.

I have a bit of an update. The fourth egg has hatched.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news...y-the-coop

I understand that it is normal for the hatchlings and parents to move right after the hatching. The late hatchling is on its own, but it is being looked after and it should be okay.
Catherine

Oh good, I'm glad they waited for the hatchlings to be safe. I had never seen a "Killdeer" before. They are handsome birds.
I grew up with Killdeer in the fields near me and they are amazing. They put their eggs right down on the ground and it seems to work for them. They will also pretend to be hurt to draw you away from their nest.

I am really happy they protected the birds. I am sure the concert will be fine in spite of the delay and it will have a better feeling for having respected nature and protected baby birds.
Catherine