Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the bear cross the road?
Because of the way the Trans Canada Highway was set up they had to build special wildlife crossing tunnels under the road. There were too many collisions. It was not working for the people or the animals.

Now they have the tunnels and it seems that the bears are using them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/banff-...-1.2542362

One bear in particular had bred with 5 different females on both sides of the road and fathered 11 children. We know why he crossed the road.Smiley4

Actually I lived out there before the tunnels were built and the highway carnage was terrible. There was talk of tunnels and then the building of tunnels. Now we know that they work.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am so glad the tunnels are there for the bears. I think something similar has happened here in UK?? I'll have to find it.....I think it was a crossing for foxes(?) or Badgers (?) which was used.
I think they are starting to build tunnels and overpasses for wildlife in a lot of places. It is the only solution. The roads cut off populations and promote serious inbreeding. Worse in places like Banff along the Trans Canada Highway the death toll was alarming.

Finally we are using some sense and it is working.

Trans Canada Highway: We are a very wide country and we have only one major highway that goes across the country. There are secondary highways for some parts, but there is only one Trans Canada.

So I have been travelling The Highway and ran into someone who lives on my street. If you are going east-west in a remote area, there is really only one way to go.
Catherine

At last we humans are starting to consider the effects of our roads etc. on the indigenous life.
That bear knew what he was about, didn't he?
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
It seems that the special animal bridges and tunnels are working.
The bear had eleven offspring that they know about. He probably has many more. I think there is more than one tunnel under that stretch of highway and there are lots of bears around the area. Smiley4 Many of them close relatives.
Catherine