Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gus Kenworthy to take Sochi strays home
I came across this web page and was struck by this man's compassion and love of dogs. I'm not a sports fan - I still have memories of playing football at school in just a vest and shorts (no gloves allowed) in the snow and not being being able to do up my clothes afterwards because my fingers were so cold.

So I'm afraid I haven't been following the Olympics. But this page shows that some sportspeople have warm hearts:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/gus-kenw...rom-sochi/
Oh I am so glad he is doing that for these dogs. Good lad!
I saw the picture of him with the pup last week I think -and already knew he was smitten! I am sure the two pups will have a great life with him. I wonder where the mother and the other two will live? Hopefully there is a good happy home awaiting them.

Well I don't know about you and football LPC, but when I was about 10 I used to love getting out in the snow, doing my own "winter sports" with home made skis and sledge! (yes....home-made SKIS!) They didn't work very well, and I fell off them every time I hit a rock....Of course I couldn't feel my fingers, they had gone numb with cold, but I didn't much care.
Good for Gus Kenworthy. Smiley32

I understand that he is keeping two and his mom is taking the mom and his siblings are taking the rest. So they will have wonderful homes and can probably have family reunions.Smiley48

I think a number of dogs have gone home with people. It is a wonderful thing that people have stepped up when they were needed. It tells us that the worldwide stray problem could be solved. The cities that are overwhelmed by strays do not need to kill them. If they put out an appeal there are people who can help. No dog is unwanted. Out there is someone who wants them. We just need to connect them and make it possible.

I have mixed feelings about sports. I loved skiing and snowshoeing, but asking me to play basket ball is laughable(5 ft tall) and so is putting me in heavy contact sports(100 pounds). The schools have always had a one size fits all mentality. Every child is expected to do everything. It was tough when we were growing up and I don't suppose it is any better.

You made your own skis. That is impressive. How did you do it?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-25-2014, 12:56 PM)Tobi Wrote: Well I don't know about you and football LPC, but when I was about 10 I used to love getting out in the snow, doing my own "winter sports" with home made skis and sledge! (yes....home-made SKIS!) They didn't work very well, and I fell off them every time I hit a rock....Of course I couldn't feel my fingers, they had gone numb with cold, but I didn't much care.
Oh, yes, I did much the same. I have many happy memories of home made sledges. I didn't mind getting cold of my own choice! I also had the unique opportunity to walk across the River Thames in 1963, when the upper reaches were frozen over. Yet at least I could choose what to wear for having fun in the cold! But one hour in the freezing wind in just a vest, with a teacher shouting to "pass, run, challenge!" was no joke...

Fortunately, the "vest and no gloves" mentality has gone these days from schools. Children usually wear long-armed sweat shirts and gloves when it is very cold.

Yet I disgress. Blessings to you, Gus!
Quote:Blessings to you, Gus!

He is one of the many animal guardian angels who see a need and fill it.Angel I am sure his whole family will be enriched by the loving presence of these dogs.Heart
Now if we can just find homes for all the other strays in the world.

I think we all went to school at a time when half freezing to death was considered good for you. Sports are supposed to be fun and recreational. Being forced out into the cold or being forced into unsuitable sports is just bad thinking. Smiley13

We played soccer in the winter in Winnipeg, with a white ball that kept disappearing into a snow drift. At least we could have painted the ball so we could find it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine