Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Overshoot Day
Well I live a far far more frugal simple life than most people I have ever heard of but my personal "overshoot day" still meant I was using 1.5 Earths!

I know why too. Because I don't "carpool"....and because sadly if I buy sugar snap peas they come from Zimbabwe. But I don't buy them very often. So I was honest in the survey and guessed that maybe 12% of my produce was not local.
I would be happy to give people lifts on my rare visits to town, but there are no people to offer lifts to!
I wonder about the calculations.
If only the people who made this survey knew that I have
NO electric lighting upstairs except for 2 lamps.
I do not drive an SUV (like most other people seem to do)
I never travel anywhere except 10 mile round trip to town rarely
Have no washing machine, AC, TV, or run any other gadgets except laptop.
Shower with a washing up bowl in the bath. (i.e. don't run loads of hot water.)
Only switch on the water heater every other day and it's on "off peak" rate which automatically switches off at a a certain time
Never eat meat.
Make things out of old stuff and don't just throw away and replace. I made my kitchen fittings out of wood dumped in a field as garbage.
Recycle everything imaginable
Rarely buy anything new -ever.
Mend my clothes and rarely buy new ones. I'll only buy new when the stitching I've done comes apart 3 times! lol....and that's not even "new" most often, except for underwear. It's usually from the charity shop.
Will even take peoples' left over chips home to heat up next day or to give to the Crow.

And....yes I know this is NOT environmentally-friendly, but those people in Zimbabwe probably depend heavily on the income received from their produce. Some people have jobs on that farm which without it -they would maybe be jobless.

Messages In This Thread
Earth Overshoot Day - by Catherine - 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM
RE: Earth Overshoot Day - by Tobi - 08-13-2018, 08:57 AM
RE: Earth Overshoot Day - by Tobi - 08-13-2018, 09:24 AM
RE: Earth Overshoot Day - by Catherine - 08-13-2018, 03:36 PM
RE: Earth Overshoot Day - by Tobi - 08-14-2018, 02:31 AM
RE: Earth Overshoot Day - by Catherine - 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM