Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
very disturbing trend
The article speaks for itself.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140222/FE...uinea-pigs

I find this very disturbing. Some people out of curiosity are wanting to eat odd things. Others are wanting to bring odd food customs with them. How soon before we have dogs being raised for food? I have heard that is the right restaurant for the right price you can get gorilla meat.
These things are all a step backwards.

Farming laws probably do not extend to the raising of these animals as food. That means no protection from abuse.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-25-2014, 02:34 PM)Catherine Wrote: Farming laws probably do not extend to the raising of these animals as food. That means no protection from abuse.
Yes, I quite agree. There is also the danger of individuals starting to grow the poor creatures at home for food, and killing them improperly.

But pigs are still crated in the US and suffer terribly, and cruel farming practices with "conventional" food animals are still commonplace. Some people eat meat, thinking that the animal has been painlessly and considerately killed in an abattoir. This is not the case. Most abattoir workers are on production bonuses and cut a lot of corners, resulting in horrific pain and suffering to the animals.
This can only end badly. I thought about people keeping guinea pigs for food and killing them badly. The professionals don't do a good job, how can amateurs even think that they will do as well.

It is going to make it more scary to sell guinea pigs as pets and rehome them from shelters. Fortunately the shelters have a pretty good adoption fee. But that does not stop someone from breeding their own once they get a female.

We have not even managed to protect the usual food animals from abuse. This is going to make it worse. How long will it be before we have people eating dogs. We are trying to overcome and eradicate animal cruelty and people find new ways that they can be cruel.Smiley19

One of those piggies looked just like my Rosebert and probably is every bit as loveable.Smiley19
Catherine

I can't bear to think of it. I know in parts of South America cavies are a traditional food, but in Korea they eat dogs etc. so what's next? Kitten restaurants perhaps?!!!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
It is scary isn't it. Some of us are trying to be more ethical about what we eat and others are looking for "newer and better" experiences. If you didn't grow up with eating guinea pigs, in fact grew up with them as pets, why would you even think of eating one.

I don't even want to think of how far things could go. As you say, what next?
Catherine

In such instances one should use ones ire and sense of injustice to campaign even harder for animal rights and the adoption of a compassionate lifestyle...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
I agree one hundred recent. I make it clear in everything I do that this is not okay and the way animals are farmed is not okay. We just have to keep telling people and pushing for change where ever we can.
If they start serving Guinea pigs in a restaurant in Toronto, we could organize a picket and bring it to the media. Bad publicity is our friend in situations like this.
Catherine

The only difference I'm seeing here between 'usual food animals' and guinea pigs is emotional attachment. Which I do understand, but I suppose to be totally morally righteous you'd have to be vegan.
Australia can't even get its act together to stop people hunting and eating endangered sea turtles and dugongs.
My friend was telling me while she was in Africa you pay all this money to go on safari and get so excited to see zebra and wildebeest and antelope and what not and then that's what they serve up for dinner.
Wonder if eating tarantula's will be America's next phase.
Yes, you bring up an interesting point platy. The difference between eating Guinea pigs, dogs, cats, etc -and cows, sheep, deer, etc ....is emotional attachment. Anyone who had got to know a sheep or cow, or pig or deer, and hadn't just viewed it as a "thing" or a "food source", but had received affection, emotional support, friendliness, from it -or who had noticed its intelligence in certain circumstances, or even ability to create humour...would be hard-pressed to keep it in slavery to human will, or cut its throat, or whatever -for food.

My feeling is that we separate those animals we are used to seeing as "food", don't have chance to, or avoid, connecting with them as individuals, and split off a part of ourselves to deal with eating them, or milking them, or turning a blind eye to intensive farming methods which cause suffering.

I've done it myself in the past, so I understand how we can shut off things like that. That tasty roast pork doesn't even LOOK like a pig. It looks and smells like "bacon". That roast chicken that smells so good with garlic doesn't look like a living, feeling Being who has been cooped up in a huge artificially-lit shed all of its life, lost most of its natural integrity as a result of being mishandled by human will, never saw the sunlight, and lived about 1/3 of its natural lifespan.

I think that what can change us is when we have a personal relationship with an animal. Then we really see and notice things we hadn't done before. And then we find things we have in common with the animal; we start to feel respect and love and kinship.

My own personal relationship with my dog Misty widened my horizons like nothing else had ever done. She showed me things I'd never known before, about the Souls of animals, and their incredible intelligence. And as a result I started to see those things also in other animals. At that point I became vegan.
It is a complicated issue. We designate some animals as food and some as friends. It is not fair to the food animals and we certainly do not treat them well. It is just a disturbing trend when we start eating animals that we consider to be pets.
It is a step in the wrong direction. We are trying to move towards treating farm animals better. Expanding our appetite to include pets is troubling. We want farm animals to be treated better, but people are starting to eat "pets".
It is certainly moving away from eating less meat towards eating more. I can understand why vegan is the better choice. It may take time, but the goal is to reduce animal cruelty and reduce eating animals. I like to think that many of us are trying to do better.
When I hear about guinea pigs as food, it seems like a step back.

Worse, there are no laws to protect animal in those circumstances.
Quote:Wonder if eating tarantula's will be America's next phase.
Is there anything on a tarantula that can be eaten?
Catherine