Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RSPB involved in Crow cull
The RSPB is the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/

They are a large charity that is dedicated to preserving nature, in particular birds of different kinds.
Certainly they are focusing on the Eurasian Curlew. In doing that they have decided to cull the crow population.
They are trapping and killing crows and have even hired game keepers to do the killing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08...crow-cull/

I can understand why members have quit. They would feel betrayed. They joined an organization dedicated to birds only to find out that the organization has chosen to kill certain birds. 

I don't know how you sort out the well being of one species over another, but any solution that begins with a cull is not a good one. For one thing, Larsen traps are cruel.
Also if crows are considered a predator, usually the presence of predators stabilizes populations in an area and keeps them healthy. I question whether killing crows is going to give the results they want. Ecosystems are much more complex that the relationship of just two species. They might make things much worse for the curlew by killing the crows. They don't really know.

It isn't right for a charity dedicated to bird welfare to kill birds and it is an ill-advised course of action.
I hope they listen to their members and rethink what they are doing.

I just came across another relevant article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07...ly-robust/

I am glad someone is looking at things in the correct light.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A case of humans and their "science" thinking their ideas are best again.....
Mother Nature has been there a heck of a lot longer than their level of thinking.

Here we go again with Larsen traps. When will people realise these traps are the most horrible way of managing any species of bird? The law says food and water must be provided in the trap to make them legal.
Do they think the wild bird captured has any interest in food and water?? No. They tear their faces, necks and beaks desperately trying to escape -and most often from dawn until dusk, by which time they are exhausted, frantic, near to collapse, and desperately dehydrated and starved.....Then they have nothing to look forward to besides being killed by the "gamekeeper" (and probably not even shot cleanly.)

I have found dead ones in these traps with the most awful injuries. And I have freed many with torn and bloody beaks and faces. (Nothing I could do for their injuries. All I could do was release them and then destroy the trap beyond recognition.)

I am horrified RSPB has decided this Eurasian Curlew warrants such a terrible country-wide cruelty.

I don't donate to the RSPB. I give to other worthy causes from time to time, and to my local animal rescue and wildlife rescue. But if I did give to the RSPB , I would cancel my donations at this point.
I wanted people to know what the RSPB was involved it. I think many of their supporters will not support this. 
Certainly no decent person who, cares about animals would support the Larsen Trap. The person who invented it has a lot to answer for. It is intentional cruelty to the captive bird. If I lived in England I would be out there like you destroying Larsen traps.

They don't even have the science right. They are looking at one species, not the whole ecosystem. They have no understanding of balance and biodiversity and the necessary interaction between species. Predators have been shown to stabilize populations and keep them healthy.

I am afraid the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds is a disappointment. They should have to change their name to the RSPSB+CO, the Royal Society for the Protection of Some Birds and Cruelty to Others.
Catherine

(08-21-2018, 03:23 PM)Catherine Wrote: I am afraid the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds is a disappointment. They should have to change their name to the RSPSB+CO, the Royal Society for the Protection of Some Birds and Cruelty to Others.

Very well said!
Groups, should always remember what their founding principles are and stay faithful to them.
Catherine

This is shocking. Like Tobi, I have never donated to the RSPB - but certainly wouldn't even consider it in the future, after this terrible decision.
I think they are losing members over this. People in good faith supported them because they assume that they look after all bird. A bird cull is a long way from how people would expect them to act.
Catherine