Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving the Vancouver Island Marmot
Marmots are one of the most endangered rodents on the planet. There numbers are small and human activity has had a very bad negative impact. The first efforts to save them were a failure and it has taken a lot of creative thinking to help them to survive.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anima...tion-news/

I am impressed with the determination and perseverance of the people working on Marmot recovery. It is slow, but there is improvement. Through the efforts of all involved the Marmots are increasing in numbers, but more importantly they are being returned to areas where they had been lost.

I am especially impressed by people who were out there on the mountainside watching over the Marmots to protect them.
When humans put their hearts and minds to something we can do great things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I didn't know anything about Marmots, so reading about them, their habitat and hibernation patterns, is fascinating.
And I had no idea they were so endangered!
Thank goodness these people are working with them saving them from the brink of extinction. They are doing their very best and it seems to be helping.
I have seen the marmots when I was on Vancouver island. One of the things that has endangered them is logging.
Sadly they clear cut a lot of areas and destroyed the marmot habitat. Places where they cut all the trees off a mountain slope, it ended up eroding and even though they planted trees they did not restore the land to its previous condition. 

Happily protestors blocked the logging and prevented more clear cutting in the area. However for the marmots it was hard. They couldn't adapt to the changes in the landscape. It has taken a lot of work to save the marmots and it took a lot of work to stop habitat destruction. Saving the land was about much more than saving the marmots, but the marmots were part of the big picture. If protestors hadn't fought to stop the logging of the area, the marmots might not have survived.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine