Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Zealand town to ban cats
One New Zealand town is proposing  to ban cats. They will allow pre-existing cats to stay, but no new cats will be allowed. This move is a way  to protect local wildlife. In theory the cats will die out and with no new cats they wildlife will have a chance to survive.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/cat-...7b00337321

I don't know if this can be done or should be done. The problem might be resolved if people kept their cats in doors.
Whatever happens, cats can no longer run wild. They will cause the extinction of many local birds and reptiles.

This is what happens when we introduce species to an area. Everyone ends up  suffering. At least they are not proposing to just get rid of all cats.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I saw this on the BBC website recently. It is a fine balance and not an easy issue. I would have thought that compulsory neutering of all domestic cats, and TNR for ferals, would have been sufficient. In the small area concerned in this case, that would not have been over difficult. But as you say, Catherine, under these new rules at least existing cats can stay in the area until their end of their lives on earth.
It seems they are trying to be kind at the same time as they are being firm. If something isn't done there will the loss of local wildlife. TNR wouldn't be enough to protect local wildlife. The feral cats could still kill a lot of animals before they die out. The feral cats would need to be kept somewhere and fed for the rest of their lives.

The pet cats shouldn't be a problem. If they are neutered and kept inside, wildlife will be safe. It is drastic to ban future cats. 
They obviously believe a drastic solution is needed.

This is just one town in one country trying to deal with cat problems. There are problems with cats vs. wildlife in many places.
In some places it is much worse. A simple solution like this is not going to be enough.

I am thinking of course of Australia. They have millions of cats doing damage and they are culling them.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-f...ucp4o.html

It is a horrible situation that the cats didn't cause. The wildlife doesn't deserve to be wiped out by a predator that is not part of the ecosystem. This is a problem started by earlier generations who introduced cats with no thought for the consequences.

I don't know what the solution is, but the thought of killing 2 million cats is shocking.
This would be the largest animal slaughter in human history.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine