Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
He  may be big, but he is beautiful. Everyone loves a tortoise and a great big tortoise is just more tortoise to love.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-25-2020, 03:32 PM)Catherine Wrote: He  may be big, but he is beautiful. Everyone loves a tortoise and a great big tortoise is just more tortoise to love.

I agree, tortoises are nice.  Heart

[Image: ddwpa7h-f48612bf-f6bc-4280-a3a6-9cc80d79...W7C8nIl_d8]

Megapiranha is far from being a large animal but pound-for-pound, it had one of the strongest bites of any creature, stronger bite than sharks, alligators and even the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex. Megapiranha was upto 1m (3 ft) long and perhaps weighed about 10 kg but still a fearsome animal. Its bite force is estimated between 1,240 - 4,749 N (279–1,068 lbf), which is 50 times its body weight.  Smiley3  It can not only slice through flesh but also crush bone.

Fossils have been found in Argentina, South America.
The idea of a one meter piranha is disturbing. Megapiranha would have been terrifying. I assume they swam in schools so that would have made them more dangerous. Maybe it is just as well that they became extinct. I don`t think we could handle a creature like this right now.
Catherine

(05-09-2020, 04:41 PM)Catherine Wrote: The idea of a one meter piranha is disturbing. Megapiranha would have been terrifying. I assume they swam in schools so that would have made them more dangerous. Maybe it is just as well that they became extinct. I don`t think we could handle a creature like this right now.

That's right, you should be knowing what the modern smaller piranhas are capable of when they are in groups. They eat their prey within seconds, ofcourse depnding on the prey size and the number of piranha members. I remember the first time when i watched them in TV years before, in one of the documentaries a group of piranhas rip a birds chick very quickly. That was sad and disturbing.

[Image: ddyml5h-db249d2f-4bb4-4445-ae55-3f93bd2a...0PPU3JxBkg]

Titanoboa was the longest and largest snake that ever lived. This monstrous snake was longer than a school bus, measuring 12.8 m (42 ft) in length or more and weighed about 1.1 tonnes. Titanoboa used it's massive size and incredible strength to squeeze it's prey with 400 lbs per square inch of pressure.  Smiley3

Fossils have been found in Colombia, South America.
Part of me would love to see one, but not up close. It would have been impressive.  Was it a type of boa? They give live birth. The babies would have been cute, but still pretty large. Can you imagine what the female looked like when she was pregnant. It would have looked like she swallowed a school bus.
Catherine

(06-04-2020, 04:50 PM)Catherine Wrote: Was it a type of boa? 
Can you imagine what the female looked like when she was pregnant. It would have looked like she swallowed a school bus. 

Yes, it was a type of boa, the largest and that is why it's name is Titanoboa.  Lol, it certainly can't swallow a bus, it will explode. Once a small python swallowed a big gator and later exploded.

[Image: d7fwllp-fe477316-e84c-4862-abd1-7e6ef8fe...ok7TEwbrh0]

Purussaurus was obviously the king of the crocodilians. It is perhaps the largest crocodilian that ever existed. Purussaurus measured about 10 - 11 m (33 - 36 ft) in length and weighed around 5 - 6 tonnes. It's bite force has been estimated to be around 69,000 N.

Fossils have been found in South America (Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Amazonia and Northern Venezuela.)
Quote:Purussaurus measured about 10 - 11 m (33 - 36 ft) in length and weighed around 5 - 6 tonnes. 
 That is an incredible size. It is hard to imagine a crocodile that big. 
Life was definitely bigger in the past. We would not have done well back then. It could have swallowed a human whole.
Catherine