Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photogenic seal dies...because of all the people taking pictures.
Sad 
A beautiful young harp seal was spotted on a beach in Newfoundland. The woman took a picture and made it public. Then the crowds came to take pictures of the little seal. Now a few days later the little seal is dead.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/photogenic...-1.4085528

What is the matter with people. They swarm animals to take pictures and end up killing the animal.

If by chance you get an amazing wild animal picture, keep it a secret for a long time. When you are absolutely sure the animal has gone from the area and out of danger, then you can safely share the picture.

From reading the article I get the feeling the woman does not realize that her actions led to the seal's death. Do any of these people ever stop and think about how their actions impact the animal in question or are they so self centered that they only see how things effect them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Indeed. I noted from the article:
"...a woman even posted a video of herself on Facebook petting the creature."

That is the problem. Self-obsessed humans wanting to take selfies of themselves with something - in this case, disturbing a marine mammal. Always, there is the ME, ME, ME culture in this selfie craze. Although the cause of death is not yet known, there is a strong possibility that stress caused by excessive human interference is behind this.
They may not be able to prove why the seal died, but we can be sure his situation was not improved by all the human attention.

The woman who started it isn't even sorry. She is glad she had time with him.

We are so twisted in  our thinking that we don't regret an animal's death as long as we got our picture and our needs met. 
The selfie craze is totally out of control. Maybe it is time to make phones that can't take selfies. We could just give people mirrors and they could look at themselves and leave wildlife alone. Too many animals have been harmed by selfies.
Catherine

(09-10-2018, 02:41 PM)Catherine Wrote: The selfie craze is totally out of control. Maybe it is time to make phones that can't take selfies. We could just give people mirrors and they could look at themselves and leave wildlife alone. Too many animals have been harmed by selfies.

How very sad indeed about this Seal.

I wonder if it is based on ignorance? The thing about "cuteness" overcomes people and they may not know or realise the wild animal that looks so "cute" is endangered by their overwhelming attention.
Some animals can't even escape or run away. Maybe some people see this as a sign that the animal wants to be with them? Sometimes it's a sign that the animal has given up hope or is even feeling unwell from too much fuss.
I don't know. But this selfie craze is truly horrible, for more than one reason.
This was a baby seal so it might have been waiting for its mother to come back and nurse it. If so all the people would have prevented it.

People are so self centered when it comes to animals. The want to view everything about an animal in relationship to how it effects them. If the animal is cute and seems to look at them, they somehow think the animal is relating to them and even wanting their attention.  If the animal is not cute and even not nice looking, they assume it is somehow wanting to hurt them.
Our perception of an animals dangerousness is of course based on how cute we think the animal is.

Mostly it is ignorance, mixed with a lot of self centered behavior. People do not see animals as thinking, feeling individuals. 
Some people barely see other people as thinking, feeling individuals.

We just need stronger laws to protect wildlife. A few good stiff fines will make selfies with animals less appealing.
If petting that seal cost the woman $10,000 dollars in fines, other people would be less likely to do it.
Catherine

(09-11-2018, 03:03 PM)Catherine Wrote: We just need stronger laws to protect wildlife. A few good stiff fines will make selfies with animals less appealing.
If petting that seal cost the woman $10,000 dollars in fines, other people would be less likely to do it.

That's actually a very good idea.
We have to do something. People do stupid and dangerous things to get a unique selfie. They should be fined for some of them.
When that picture does harm to an animal there needs to be consequences. A large fine is probably the best deterrent.
Either that or they should be forced to do without social media for a period of time. Six weeks without being able to post of Instagram would probably cost them all their followers. That is a penalty worthy of the crime.
Catherine